PC attempts to boot multiple times before sucess

Gallarian

Distinguished
(System specs are in my sig)

Hey guys,

Been having this problem since building my PC - every time I boot my PC, it appears to start normally, i.e. fans and lights come on, then it'll just shut down. Couple of seconds later, it'll re-boot and is successful (sometimes take 3 times, but mostly 2).

The only time it boots first time is when Ive previously been on PC a short time ago (around 30-60 mins).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gallarian

Distinguished
My CPU was professionaly OC'd , and came as a mobo+cpu+ram bundle from scan.co.uk, a well established and award winning supplier that stress test all such products several times.

The bios has not been changed

A lot of times this restart restart ok thing happens when things in the core are OCd.

It isn't really a problem, per se. AFAIK, it doesn't hurt anything. You just have to accept that it is going to happen like that.

If you get rid of the OC, you will most likely get rid of the "problem".

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Agreed, mostly likely failing the overclocked settings in use and restarting with defaults. You arent likely overclocked when it actually boots. I dont care who built it, overclocked settings can change over time and what used to work may not be so stable anymore due to changes. Heat paste gumming up, failed/failing cooling fans/water pumps, and so on.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

I think he's saying on the first boot it's not overclocked-then reboots into the OC setup. Others have noticed a longer delay in boot times after an OC.
I'm more concerned with "The only time it boots first time is when Ive previously been on PC a short time ago (around 30-60 mins)." That's no way normal.

What I think is happening is that it tries to boot the first time with the OC settings in place and sends all these calls to each device to see if it is awake and it isn't getting the responses it wants as fast as it wants.

When that doesn't happen, I think it simply starts all over again from the beginning.

That last part Chaz mentioned does throw me off a little, but I could believe some internal device's parts are still (for lack of a better word) "warm" and that they can resume operations more quickly from a warm state than a cold one where it has been off for a longer time.

Don't take any of that for gospel or anything, I am not going to try to pull out a link to show that things work this way, but from what I know about computers it is a distinct possibility.

When there is a BIOS problem that is easily fixed by taking out the battery, I take it out for 30 minutes, because its possible (although unlikely) that the computer's hardware can hold onto the old BIOS that long after the power cable is removed.

Many times I have seen it take more than 15, but never have I seen it take more than 30.

It is possible that the reason for this is somehow related to the OPs issue.

If it indeed is the case, I would think the OP would have to turn his computer on within 15 - 30 rather than 30 - 60 minutes, though. Unless there is some device that can hold a charge longer than the motherboard. Which is entirely possible.

An electrical engineer working at IBM could confirm or deny this sort of thing, but I don't think there are any on the TH boards.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Not that familiar with ASRock's bios but some UEFI's allow you to "save" your present set up, change it if you wish and return to it later. If you can try it and it doesn't do the whole double boot thing then you know that the OC is the issue. Let us know.

vortecks

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
It might be the SSD - Loads of problems with the Corsair Force 3 SSD's not booting every time..... I have one, I know about the problem :fou:

typeo

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008

I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased a Corsair Force 3 SSD and I am currently having this issue.. Takes like 2-3 tries to boot up correctly. Has a fix been found for this by chance?

Nas_1_

Commendable
May 26, 2016

I have been having this problem recently and I have spent time reading and trying some of the easy solutions I find online. However what actually turned out to be my problem (which I found out by accident) was that because my "power on" button was slightly hidden, the problem was as a result of my not being able to push the button deep. Whenever I use to tip of my finger to push the button way down, I don't have the problem...hope this will help someone.

Kosarar

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

Excellent solution. One can rarely meet such in Internet. It worked for me. Even these things can go wrong. Thank you.