luca143

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
Greetings,

I bought 2x 128MB DIMMs that have ECC. Now I'm looking at the board I was planning on upgrading to and it doesn't have ECC support.

Does that mean I cannot use my new memory at all, or can I use it and forfeit the ECC capabilities...

*fingers crossed*

Mike

----------------------
Thanks,
[dB]Luca

"He who laughs, lasts"

mpjesse

Splendid
Hmm... that's a good question. ECC is a chip that sits outside of the normal memory chips (actually below it). So, it's not built into the memory. My guess is that'll work. ECC is supported in the BIOS not on some chip on the mobo. It'll probably work. If it doesn't.. try upgrading the Motherboard to ECC support.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

"Hopefully" it will work, have you tried it? I would be interested in knowing. Incidentally, I don't recommend turning on the ECC at all. Correct me if I am wrong, but ECC RAM is actually slower than non-ECC RAM due to the parity bits. SO unless you have a server, doing massive ammounts of highly important computations/compilations/etc. or massive ammounts of data transfer, then you probably don't want ECC.

No, I'm sorry, I don't work here.

luca143

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to try the ECC in the AK7A motherboard becuase I have already sent the ram back for an exchange (Crucial was very helpful in exchanging the memory for me).

----------------------
Thanks,
[dB]Luca

"He who laughs, lasts"