Wireless adapter problem

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I am trying to move one of my PCs to a different room where CTA5 will be impossible to connect, and decided to go with a wireless adapter. My previous wifi experience is limited to built in adapters in laptops (Dell, HP, Asus) and smartphones (HTC, samsung).

I use Win 7 64bit and a 2wire gateway (att dsl).

None of these devices ever gave me trouble, even when being rooms away (signal quality would drop, but no disconnects).

My first try was with a Roseville 150Mbit USB adapter. I let my Windows install the driver, it worked and connected just fine with good speeds. But every so often it would disconnect (resetting my gateway in the process). This has never happened before with any of my other wireless devices, so I replaced the adpter with another.
This time it was a TP-link brand adapter. Again I let windows find a driver, everything worked, good speeds, but again I got random disconnects. I than downloaded software from TP-link and installed drivers that way, but nothing changed.

The disconnects aren't frequent ( 2-3 in an hour) and are short in duration, but since I will use the machine for online gaming, this will not work.

Any suggestions?

Check in Device Manager and the device's Properties pages under the Power Management tab that the system isn't set to turn the adapter off to save power. If it's idling while you aren't active on the Net, it may be switching itself off to save the planet.