Solved

Is it safe to turn on computer overnight?

Is it safe to turn on the computer overnight? I need to download Battlefield Bad Company 2, which it's around 8GB. I want it to download overnight, and origin sucks that it cannot resume downloads, and also I don't want to wasting my time in my day time, so is it safe to do that?
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about safe turn computer overnight
  1. Absolutely. :) I leave my system on 24/7, actually.
  2. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Absolutely. :) I leave my system on 24/7, actually.


    :o Really? What's the temps for your system? And what cooling solutions do you use?
  3. Why wouldn't it be?
  4. Best answer
    Well, when I'm not actually using it (sleeping etc.), it's just at idle usually, so my temps are ~30C or a little less, and I use a Hyper 212 Evo for cooling.

    You won't be really stressing the CPU only downloading a game (near idle, really), so temps aren't really of any concern.
  5. My CPU is around 40s degrees when idle. Which is okay. My GPU can be range 40-50 degrees even if it's idle. Do you think those temps are normal for idle?
  6. Eh, 40C is high-ish for idle, but I'm guessing you're using the stock cooler, which would explain that. 40-50C is fine though. Like I said, you're not stressing the CPU when downloading a game, so that's not a problem.

    If you were running it 75C+ for hours on end, then I'd say you would need to be careful, but you won't be.
  7. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Eh, 40C is high-ish for idle, but I'm guessing you're using the stock cooler, which would explain that. 40-50C is fine though. Like I said, you're not stressing the CPU when downloading a game, so that's not a problem.

    If you were running it 75C+ for hours on end, then I'd say you would need to be careful, but you won't be.


    Uh, I run my computer for like 10 hours once, and it's still with 40c range. My CPU never goes to 70c. Max is about 65 when video editing. I think its okay. Also, what about power comsumption? I know it's stupid to ask but my parents are paying for the power bills, lol.
  8. A very large percentage of computers operate 24/7. It would kinda of suck if the internet went off every night at 8 wouldn't it? ;)
  9. That's really not an issue either, since it's basically running at idle. If you were stress testing overnight, it would be a different story, but you'll pretty much just be pulling idle wattage.
  10. Origin lets you resume downloads I believe. There should be an option to pause/play in "My Games."
  11. Lol I would be so mad if there was no Internet after 8. So most likely, it will run overnight without problem. Thanks guys for the help. Gonna play BF2 tomorrow. :D
  12. fearless1333 said:
    Origin lets you resume downloads I believe. There should be an option to pause/play in "My Games."


    Nope, I actually tried doing that, but it saids if you stop download, you will lose everything. That's why I am asking this :/
  13. Best answer selected by ipwn3r456.
  14. I let my PC run 24/7 all the time too. Most of the time through overnight it encodes. Through the day it encodes too and it preps to encodes for overnight.

    It is running @ 68°C under the load and 30°C idle. U can run it at full speed for hours, but when u stop it, it goes down in seconds to idle temps.

    And 40°C @ idle is little warmer than it should be.
  15. ipwn3r456 said:
    Nope, I actually tried doing that, but it saids if you stop download, you will lose everything. That's why I am asking this :/


    Ah, then it's probably the game you're trying to download. Sucks :(
  16. nikorr said:
    I let my PC run 24/7 all the time too. Most of the time through overnight it encodes. Through the day it encodes too and it preps to encodes for overnight.

    It is running @ 68°C under the load and 30°C idle. U can run it at full speed for hours, but when u stop it, it goes down in seconds to idle temps.

    And 40°C @ idle is little warmer than it should be.


    Yeah i know is a bit warm for idle, but its still okay. My CPU never goes up to 70c, even if i am doing video editing and such. The max i believe, it was once 65c. My case is not good, prebuild computer..., ventilation for the case is not good either. My computer is a Dell XPS 8300.
  17. WOW, origin sucks like hell. Whenever i tried to resume the download for bf2, it can't even let me do it. Can anyone help? :/
  18. Yes, Origin support can probably help...
  19. FinneousPJ said:
    Yes, Origin support can probably help...


    It works and resumes the download. Origin is just... so weird...
Ask a new question

Read More

Download Battlefield Computers Components