Very Hot CPU Temps

jdbceltics

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I would like to begin by thanking in advance any and all who take the time to read this post and help me out! :D

To the issue at hand, I have had my PC since December 2010 and used it to play high end games mostly. For the first year, I had no issues with it whatsoever, it ran perfectly smooth, not any problems at all. Earlier this year, however, I had a problem with it freezing up during certain points in video games, forcing me to shut it down and restart. It gets completely locked up, I can't exit out of the game, it literally freezes. It also makes a loud, sound, that sounds like a noise repeating itself incredibly quickly, very digital sounding (sorry about the poor explanation, hard to describe). Anyway, after some research I attributed this problem to a recent AVG update, as when I went back to a restore point before AVG updated, everything started to work fine again. :D

Fast forward to just recently. My PC started doing the same thing during video games. I looked at recent changes made to my computer and realized a recent Windows 7 update was the only recent change, so once again I went the restore point way and figured my problem to be solved. Alas, this also failed. I today decided to install the latest updates for Windows and AVG, as well as install the latest nVidia GTX 570 drivers.

This brings us to right now. While I have not had any system crash yet, I still decided to check my temperatures using CPUID Hardware Monitor. My GPU idles at 35-40C and gets up to about 60C when playing a high end game. So no problem there. However, my CPU (Intel i7-950) cores idle at around 50C but got as high as 94C when I tested playing a high end game for no more than 2 minutes! This is outrageously high, no?

So I have four questions today;
1) Are these temperatures too high for my CPU (i7-950, stock Intel heatsink)?
2) Would the CPU overheating cause these type of crashes?
3) If the answer to #2 is yes, why did my AVG fix work several months back? Is it possible the crashes, while seemingly identical, are in fact caused by different problems?
4) If overheating IS in fact the issue at hand, what are some possible reasons that this is just starting now, bearing in mind that this PC worked to perfection for the first year? I doubt that my PC always was getting this hot!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this (long-winded) post, and please help me with this issue! Thanks for your help in advance! :sol:

Solution
A better heatsink won't cost too much, such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1340630751&sr=8-6&keywords=intel+coolermaster+heatsink. I can't answer your problem with avg, but it may be a heat issue. I don't use all the windows 7 updates; my pc runs smoother without them. The files are getting too large; I rely on microsoft security essentials updates, which are separate and provide virus protection.
A better heatsink won't cost too much, such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1340630751&sr=8-6&keywords=intel+coolermaster+heatsink. I can't answer your problem with avg, but it may be a heat issue. I don't use all the windows 7 updates; my pc runs smoother without them. The files are getting too large; I rely on microsoft security essentials updates, which are separate and provide virus protection.

Solution
Yes that's too hot.

The fan may be clogged with dust. Blow it out with canned air.

The heatsink may have come loose. Re-install it with new thermal paste.

Get an aftermarket cooler.

If you haven't done a fresh Windows install since 2010, I would suggest that to clean out all the crap from your computer. You would be surprised how snappy a fresh install runs.

jdbceltics

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

Thanks for your answer! I thought there may be something wrong with the heatsink, dust or something! And thanks for the tip on re-installing Windows! I'll have to try that.

jdbceltics

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

I chose you as best answer because your replied first and gave a link to a heatsink, as well as some advice. And you also tried to answer most of my questions. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS