New build slow and glitchy

mmx6

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Just put together my 2nd ever build but I'm having some issues. When I first loaded Windows 7 and started setting up the software everything worked fine. Today when I went to continue setting it up the thing runs slow and glitchy in windows. The mouse and even the keyboard sometimes lags behind even when the system isn't under any load at all. I never get any total freeze ups or bsod's but I clearly have a problem. I know this could probably be many things but I'm open to any ideas.

Specs.

Mobo Gigabyte FXA990-UD3
Ram Corsair Vengeance 1600 (4X4gb)
Chip AMD Phenom ii X4 960T
GPU Gigabyte HD6850 1gb
PSU Corsair GS 800W
OS Windows 7 64bit SP1

I have all the current drivers installed and have tried registry software with no luck. Also, the ram and cores are never near maxed out and my temps are fine. Is this a Windows issue I'm having??? thanks.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I would be very interested in seeing the extact error codes your bluescrrens are generating. Were looking for a hex number its going to look like this 00x000000
This code will tell us exactly whats wrong. Untill we know what is causing issues, anything said is just pure speculation.

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
A hard drive that is failing or developing bad sectors can cause exactly the behavior you've described.

Check the SMART status of your drive, if SMART says it is ok, do a chkdsk c: /r pay attention to any errors it may find.

HTH

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
before you reinstall (if you haven't done so already), start task manager and make sure the CPU usage column is visible. Keep task manager minimized and visible (it should show the CPU usage in the notification area).

Once you have task manager running as described above, use your machine as you normally would. When you notice the "glitchy" behavior, look at the task manager icon (which should be in the notification area), if it shows high CPU usage (close to 100%) double click on the task manager icon, and look for the process that is using all the CPU. This could help you figure out which piece of software (if any) is the cause.

HTH

mmx6

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I put the task manager up and there was almost no CPU activity while the machine was glitchy. So I reinstalled windows and all the drivers and now the computer (fingers crossed) is running just fine. Hopefully that was the final "fix". thanks for the help.