New Memory slowing down my PC.

G

Hi,
I was hoping you could help me with this question?

I recently installed 128Meg of PC100 SDRAM in my PC, I already had 64Meg, any way I have been getting some pretty weird benchmark results. First off it was 20 points higher than before I installed the memory, but as soon as I am using more than 64Meg it drops over 50 points. Why is this?
I have two threes.

A) Something to do with the memory in the second socket being slowed down by the memory in the first socket. If this is the case I should put the 128meg DIMM in the first socket and the 64Meg DIMM in the second socket, Yes?

B) I am just being silly and the benchmark was just being scroowe. I am only 16 and this was my first time adding memory to a system.

Any way, thanks for you help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be that the old memroy had a faster cas latency than the new. Or it could be a number of other things, such as a BIOS problem. Try upgrading your BIOS, as that is easy, and if that doens't work, change the order of your memory.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Hmmm,
After more testing, it seems if I am using under 64Meg I get hi benchmark results and over 80Meg gives me hi benchmarks but between 64 and 80 Meg seems to give a very low benchmark?

Odd.
I think I will probably just leave it for a while and see what happens. But still very odd, But I think I can live with it for a whil any way.