Sign in with
Your question

New Computer

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2012 12:53:00 AM

I am planning on building a new home computer. I do not know much about computers but I have put one together and was wanting some input to make sure everything is compatible and of good quality. If you have any suggestions of improvements or how to save some money please let me know. The computer would be used for basic internet use with a little bit of gaming and office work.

Processor = Intel Core I5 2500 = $205
Motherboard = Asus P8268-V Pro Gen 3 = $204
Hard Drive = Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 tb = $140
Memory = G. Skill Ripjaw series = $50
DVD Burner = Asus DRW SATA 24x = $20
Case = Antec Three Hundred illusion BLK = $70
I am not sure if it is better to choose a case with a power supply or buy them seperatly. I do not know what to look for in a power supply but hear you do not want to buy a cheap one. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Please let me know if all these parts are compatible and if this is the best bang for the buck. Any questions let me know.
Thanks.

More about : computer

March 11, 2012 1:12:40 AM

nschafer55 said:
I am planning on building a new home computer. I do not know much about computers but I have put one together and was wanting some input to make sure everything is compatible and of good quality. If you have any suggestions of improvements or how to save some money please let me know. The computer would be used for basic internet use with a little bit of gaming and office work.

I am not sure if it is better to choose a case with a power supply or buy them seperatly. I do not know what to look for in a power supply but hear you do not want to buy a cheap one. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Please let me know if all these parts are compatible and if this is the best bang for the buck. Any questions let me know.
Thanks.

They are all compatible and quality items. You could probably, for your stated usage, get away with an i3-? (though without a GPU I wouldn't go lower than a-2105 or 2125) and something like the ASUS P8Z68-V LX. Those two changes will save you some $. I wouldn't (and didn't) get a 2500 unless it was a K just so the overclocking option was there if needed. I'm guessing you won't need it. You didn't say but I'd suggest Windows 7 x64 as your OS. You could use the $ saved and buy a ssd as your boot drive and enter a whole new world of speed! :) 
m
l
March 11, 2012 1:28:35 AM

Yeah, I'd probably ditch the slow HDD as my primary drive.

I would get one, low GB, SSD. Then I would get a cheap 7200 RPM 500 GB'er. I'm pretty sure you could probably find something cheap in the 1 TB range though.

Mechanical drives don't come close to the performance of an SSD, which means I spend less time waiting for my games to load! = )
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2012 3:06:13 AM

Please fill this out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

You don't even need an i5 2500 or such an expensive motherboard. Motherboard barely effects the performance overall, it's mostly the CPU. Check out my $650 save you some money and gives you more performance (graphically) but similar CPU performance.
m
l
March 11, 2012 6:29:27 PM

nschafer55 said:

Thanks.

300r
i3 2105 (for HD 3000)
ASUS P8Z68 PRO
M4 64GB SSD
WD Green 1TB
8GB Vengeance
EA-380D

A List of Recommended PSUs
m
l
!