ODD Monitor (NO signal) problem

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello all,

I have a problem with my graphics card not sending a signal to my VGA monitor.
What's weird is that this is ONLY occurs when I try sending this to a VGA input monitor/TV, yet works with HDMI/DVI displays.

The card I'm using is this XFX 9600 GSO:
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Products/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA/NVIDIA-GeForce-9-Series/NVIDIA-GeForce-9600-GSO.aspx

This card has 2 outputs, one DVI and one HDMI. It works fine when I am using the setups as follows:

HDMI to HDMI (single HDMI/HDMI cable)
DVI to HDMI (single DVI/HDMI cable)
DVI to DVI (single DVI/DVI cable)
but not DVI to VGA... (using a single DVI to VGA cable, as well as a VGA to VGA cable w/ DVI/VGA converter)

The 4 displays I've tested it on are:
19" LCD Monitor --> VGA input ONLY (does not work) ***TRYING to use this one for this computer.
22" LCD Monitor --> VGA + DVI input (DVI works, VGA doesn't)
22" LED HDTV ---> VGA + HDMI input (HDMI works, VGA doesn't)
32" LCD HDTV --> VGA + HDMI input (HDMI works, VGA doesn't)

If anyone can help me understand what's going on or help fix the issue, It would be very much appreciated.
Thanks alot.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I thought of the possibility of the cable being broken, so I tried using it with another computer with that monitor: and it worked no problem.

Then I pulled out the VGA to VGA cable (using the DVI/VGA converter) and still the same result. Works with my other computer, but not this one.

Odd... ?

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I'm wondering, could this card be defective?

I didn't really think that would be the case since the DVI output port works... with everything else... just not VGA ...

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I don't think RMA-ing the GPU is a viable option.

1. It cost me only $15 in the first place... not really worth the expense to send it back when...

2. I could get something newer and better..

ACTUALLY, I already did. This is going into my older computer, which is why I want to use the 19" monitor with it. The 22" is being used for the newer computer.