Best CPU for me

rafa360

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
i5 2500k or fx8150 or anything under 170 £

(i dont have a mobo yet)

* ill be overclocking at not high clocks
*I want it for gaming, none of those will bottleneck ANY game (correct me if im wrong) but the 2500k will have a better performace

*full hd video editing (cpu intese programs) dont bother me to wait to the video rendering, i just want the edition to go smoth
(ive tried to edit 720p on a i3 and it sucked so much... you put slowmotion or fastmotion(?) it just dont show the effect on the editor, and takes ages...)

i wanted to go with the bulldozer (i dont know why, maybe just because its a 8 cores...)
but with a i5 i can put a hackintosh with no problem...
what do you think?

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
You answered your own question. i5 2500k over clocked.

Just make sure you get a good cooler. 8 Cores doesn't mean squat in real time scenarios.

Hell I can produce a Million core CPU right now and a Pentium 4 can probably out pace it.

No program will take full advantage of those 8 cores. You can probably run different instances of programs but it won't speed any particular program up any more.

Stick with a 4 core i5 2500k, get a great air cooler or custom water cooling and OC that motherflower to its tipping point.

SmartGeek

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Hi Razec69,

For gaming, Intel i5 2500k is the best out there at that price point but for video editing, encoding, rendering, etc., an eight core processor will rightly rip along. 8 threads will definitely be better for video editing as these applications are designed for taking advantage of more threads.

In this case, I think you should go with AMD FX-8120 processor because not only it will save some money but also it will be better for programs that can take advantage of more threads. Going by AMD build, you can spend the saved money to buy a more expensive and powerful Graphics Card which will result in a overall more powerful build whether it be gaming or video editing.

I recommended you FX-8120 instead of FX-8150 because the former is less in price and can be overclocked to the speeds of the latter to get equal performance. By doing this you'll save a good amount of money and spending it on a more powerful Graphics Card will make more sense.

Regards,
SmartGeek

randomkid

Distinguished

If you want the look of 8 threads in your task manager, then 8150 it is. But essentially, both processors will meet your need. You probably wont feel any difference except in benchmarks.
The problem is you also like Hackintosh so... I understand what's tearing you apart. I was in the same crossroad before & ended up with the i5-2500K.