Disabling second display causes a BSOD. Help!

PerryG

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Hey guys! I'm having one heck of a problem, and could really use some help. I have 2 displays running on my PC, and sometimes I like to disable the second display so I can plug my TV into my computer for games, etc. I could do this just fine with my previous graphics card (Radeon HD 5750), but I recently upgraded to an MSI Twin Frozr II HD 6950 2GB. For some reason, if I try to disable my second display, it just BSODs on me. If I try to just "clone" my display, it does the same thing too. It also BSODs when I try to uninstall the drivers. I've tried unplugging it while my PC was in use, and, yep you guessed it, BSOD. If I unplug it before it boots, It runs fine...until you move ANYTHING over to where the second display was, then it just BSODs. I CAN change the resolution and orientation of it though without a BSOD(I can run graphically intense programs on it fine too). I've looked everywhere on Google for a solution, but none could be found. Any suggestions? My system as a whole functions perfectly besides this little problem(no performance drops, fragmenting, etc. although there are weird green pixel patterns right before it BSODs) Here are my current PC specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz (stock clocks)
Graphics Card: MSI Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB
RAM: 8GB of DDR3 RAM
Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3

My first display is 1920X1080 and my second display is 1600X900. The BSOD is always IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I have the most up to date drivers installed for this card. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you guys offer me.

PerryG

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
My computer won't even go into safe mode. It stops when it tries to load the ATI PCIE drivers. Then, slowly, the top of the screen starts getting random pixels appearing and then it reboots. So, I'm fairly positive it is just a bad driver/driver install.

PerryG

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
I found a solution for this problem. Sorry it took so long to write back. Okay, here's what I did for anyone else having problems uninstalling drivers/same problem:

I physically took out the new graphics card and ran the computer using the onboard graphics card (or you could use a different graphics card) and uninstalled Catalyst. Then I ran drive sweeper and completely uninstalled everything ATI Display related. I popped in the 6950 and rebooted, installed a fresh copy of Catalyst, and everything is golden now. I've ran on 4 monitors so far without any problems and a variety of resolutions.