Sign in with
Your question

What's Better?

Last response: in CPUs
June 25, 2012 10:53:32 AM

:hello:  So I'm planning to get a computer and it's relatively cheap. I just want to know.. What's better?

My current computer is an HP desktop computer. Specs are:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5500
Intel G41 Express Chipset (Complete rubbish)
4GB RAM
700GB Hard Drive

This is the computer that I want to get. It's an ACER Slimline computer. Specs are:

AMD A8-3820 2.5GHz 4 core processor
AMD HD6530D Graphics card
8GB RAM
2TB Hard Drive

I mainly use it for daily use. But I do play games such as Counter Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, games like that. Which computer would be better for me? Thanks in advance. :wahoo: 

More about : question

a b à CPUs
June 25, 2012 11:08:30 AM

The second system will have MUCH MUCH better gaming experience. Its waayyy ahead of the Intel system as far as gaming is concerned.
However, the CPU part will be slightly slower for single threaded apps, but again is better than the Intel when it comes to more mordern multi-core optimized software:) 
I'd strongly suggest u upgrade the CPU to A8-3850 if possible:)  cheers:) 
m
l
June 25, 2012 11:09:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback. What I was thinking was to trade in my current system and buy the other one, since I'm short on money. So is that my best bet? To get the ACER?
m
l
Related resources
June 25, 2012 11:16:19 AM

hottsauce said:
:hello:  So I'm planning to get a computer and it's relatively cheap. I just want to know.. What's better?

My current computer is an HP desktop computer. Specs are:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5500
Intel G41 Express Chipset (Complete rubbish)
4GB RAM

This is the computer that I want to get. It's an ACER Slimline computer. Specs are:

AMD A8-3820 2.5GHz 4 core processor
AMD HD6530D Graphics card
8GB RAM

I mainly use it for daily use. But I do play games such as Counter Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, games like that. Which computer would be better for me? Thanks in advance. :wahoo: 

Hi Hottsauce,

For how much will you get that Acer Slimline PC? As per your requirements, you'll better be off with a Intel Pentium G Series processor and a decent dedicated Graphics Card. Tell the price of that PC, it will really help.

Also, tell your Max. budget. You should buy components yourself and fit them in your current PC. This deal will give you more performance for almost equal price.

Regards,
SmartGeek
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2012 11:23:23 AM

SmartGeek said:
Hi Hottsauce,

For how much will you get that Acer Slimline PC? As per your requirements, you'll better be off with a Intel Pentium G Series processor and a decent dedicated Graphics Card. Tell the price of that PC, it will really help.

Also, tell your Max. budget. You should buy components yourself and fit them in your current PC. This deal will give you more performance for almost equal price.

Regards,
SmartGeek

^+1. Pre-built PC's more often than not disappoints later.

Give us the information that Smartgeek is asking for & we can advise you on a better & more cost effective build.
m
l
June 25, 2012 11:25:46 AM

I'm getting the ACER for $430. I saw it at a cheap price and I was gonna get a computer anyways. I can trade in my current CPU for $200 and I wanna pitch in $300 of my own. As for my max budget, I really don't have one but I don't want to exceed $600. That's the reason why I'm getting this.

If I upgrade my current PC, I know I need a graphics card and I'll need a PSU. It's only 250W and I'll probably need a 500W. Afterwards, will I need anything else? Any fans or coolers of some sort? Or is that it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2012 1:15:24 PM

Please post the link to that Acer $430 deal & we will see what we can do.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2012 2:06:01 PM

$600 sounds real good for a decent build:)  I guess that's the way 2 go if u noe how to put the components together:) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2012 11:13:31 AM

Well its certainly much better than ur current system:) 

Btw if u don;t noe how to assemble, u can ask a local computer sales shop 2 assemble 1 for u :)  The people here will be more than glad to assist u in selecting the right parts, to get the best rig for ur money :D 

Bare in mind that assembled computers are almost always cheaper than ready made ones.....plus u get the satisfaction of knowing all the parts u put in:) 
m
l
June 26, 2012 9:26:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I most probably will buy the ACER considering I'm really rubbish when it comes down to the dirty stuff, and I'm not really looking for a real gaming PC sort of thing. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2012 11:01:02 PM

The problem I see is the PC being a slim case. It severely limits your upgrade for graphics cards to low profile ones & therefore low power. I would suggest to get at least the non-slim type that will allow for standard power supply & graphics card to fit.
m
l
June 27, 2012 5:34:59 PM

So in general, the ACER is MUCH better than my current HP computer? And should I consider the switch?
m
l
a c 147 à CPUs
June 27, 2012 9:07:08 PM

I wouldnt just because its a slimline. You will have alot of trouble even upgrading the power supply to support any add in graphics card. That unit only comes with a 220w power supply. And then once you do you will have to figure out how to add fans in there to emove the excess heat...
Its ok if you plan on never upgrading it.
m
l
June 28, 2012 11:03:21 AM

I never will, I just want a different computer from my current. So it's good but it's not upgradable? That's not really a problem for me. Thanks everyone.
m
l
August 9, 2012 5:30:33 AM

HP Slimline s5-1020 offers a powerful PC where space is at a premium. Perfect for a small space or dorm room, it can handle all your computing needs, like e-mail, word processing and more. And the Slimline is flexible, so you can easily add or upgrade features and functions.
http://www.dapfor.com/en/net-suite/net-grid/features/pe...
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2012 6:45:00 AM

get a Pentium G series in a mid tower. Much better for upgrading.
m
l
!