Sign in with
Your question

Turbo boost adjusting

Last response: in CPUs
June 25, 2012 2:12:02 PM

Having an issue with turbo boost, i want to change it so it will only let my cpu operate below the standard frequency, if i leave turbo boost on the cpu heats over 100 degrees and then my pc shuts down.
Anyway, how can i change turbo boost so it will only lower the clock speed than raise it.

More about : turbo boost adjusting

a b à CPUs
June 25, 2012 2:17:15 PM

All u gotta do i disable Turbo boost.....all CPU's since 2006 will AUTOMATICALLY drop the multiplier when there no much work to do:) 
My E8400 drops down to 2GHz when idle......newer processors drop even lower to save power :) 
June 25, 2012 2:19:12 PM

$hawn said:
All u gotta do i disable Turbo boost.....all CPU's since 2006 will AUTOMATICALLY drop the multiplier when there no much work to do:) 
My E8400 drops down to 2GHz when idle......newer processors drop even lower to save power :) 

so turbo boost only increases the multiplier?
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
June 25, 2012 2:22:26 PM

athulajp said:

Well, that's it's main function, yes. SpeedStep is what reduces the speed at idle and low usage states.

I suppose you could just set all the Turbo multi's to the stock speed of the CPU, if you want (or disable Turbo completely).

The best option is just to simply get a better cooler (like a Hyper 212 Evo).
June 25, 2012 2:22:31 PM

You are attempting to repair the wrong thing. Turbo boost is meant to improve single-core usage....that is when only 1 CPU is 100%, it will raise it performace. For 2 cores the raising is smaller. The idea is that the consumption/heat should never exceed figures from all 4 cores running 100% at the stock frequency. So if TB is making you problems, all core usage will also.
So check your thermals. CPU cooler, air flow, even PSU.

As a direct response, feel free to disable turbo boost in BIOS. For low-power states there are other options controlling them.
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2012 2:25:09 PM

athulajp said:

YES :D 
June 25, 2012 2:25:54 PM

mathew7 said:
You are attempting to repair the wrong thing. Turbo boost is meant to improve single-core usage....that is when only 1 CPU is 100%, it will raise it performace. For 2 cores the raising is smaller. The idea is that the consumption/heat should never exceed figures from all 4 cores running 100% at the stock frequency. So if TB is making you problems, all core usage will also.

As a direct response, feel free to disable turbo boost in BIOS. For low-power states there are other options controlling them.

well, i was running task manager to check the core usage while i was running bf3 and at least 4 threads were active, cpu usage on the monitor tool was over 40%, speed in cpu-z said 3.0(instead of stock 2.8) so i assumed it was turbo boost doing it. temps were 99, 96, 92, 90. I had an issue when the thermal paste came off somehow and then it would just shut down really fast so i assumed it was due to overheating and i figured higher clocks could cause that so i wanted to turn off turbo boost.
a c 283 à CPUs
June 25, 2012 2:31:37 PM

athulajp said:
well, i was running task manager to check the core usage while i was running bf3 and at least 4 threads were active, cpu usage on the monitor tool was over 40%, speed in cpu-z said 3.0(instead of stock 2.8) so i assumed it was turbo boost doing it. temps were 99, 96, 92, 90. I had an issue when the thermal paste came off somehow and then it would just shut down really fast so i assumed it was due to overheating and i figured higher clocks could cause that so i wanted to turn off turbo boost.

If I'm understanding that correctly, you need to reapply some new thermal paste (after thoroughly cleaning off the old stuff).

No wonder it's overheating if there's no thermal paste there (or not much), especially if you removed the HSF without reapplying new stuff.
a c 478 à CPUs
June 25, 2012 4:53:22 PM

I would clean the CPU and heatsink of old thermal paste, then apply new thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5.

For now you should lower your CPU's speed so that it does not overheat. You can do this by going to Control Panel, click System & Security and then just click on Power Options. Choose one of the power plans, there could be between 2 and 4 or maybe even 6 of them. It doesn't matter which one.

1. Click "Change plan settings".
2. Click "Change advanced power settings".
3. In the new windows scroll down to "Processor power management" and expand.
4. Expand "Maximum processor state" which allows you to adjust the max CPU speed. Enter a percentage of less than 100%.

A setting of 99% turns of TurboBoost. The percentages is not exactly linear meaning 98% will lower clock speeds by 2% and 97% will lower clock speeds by 3%. For example, my laptop has a Core i5-2410m with a stock speed of 2.3GHz (excluding TurboBoost). A setting of 78% - 98 = 1.8GHz. A setting of 69% - 77% = 1.6GHz.

Lower the maximum power state to something that reduces your CPU temp to the mid 70C or 60C. Whatever you are comfortable with until you are able to apply new thermal paste.

June 25, 2012 5:14:20 PM

quick question, what kind of temperatures are dangerous for my processor? it's an i7 860, would 100 be dangerous or can i go a bit higher(105, 110)
!