Sign in with
Your question

HD 6670 video is chopping (not fps issue)

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2012 10:05:01 AM

Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster because I am at a loss with my current issue.

I have been buillding and overclocking my own computers for a couple years now, so I have a somewhat decent knowledge base.

Me and the wife have been playing SWTOR together. Me on my desktop, her on her laptop. Well her laptop decided to crap out so I figured it was time to get her a desktop.

Im not much of a premade computer kind of guy, but newegg was running this deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I did my research to find and from what I found this processor and video would be more than adequate to run SWTOR.

The computer showed up today and after doing all updates, getting the latest AMD catalyst, and the newest video card drivers I have run into the following issue:

I thought this video card would be able to run the game on high settings but apparently not because it artifacts pretty badly. So I set the graphics to low. This made the artifacting stop but now I have an issue that I cannot figure out. The video seems to "chop" or "jump". For example, I will be running at 60fps and then it jumps to 35fps and then back to 60fps. Its almost like it temporarily freezes, and then catches back up with itself.

So its not a FPS issue as it is getting 60fps, but I feel like I possibly got a bad card, or there is something i do not know.

As I said I have the newest drivers and have played with every setting I can think of and the situation simply won't go away.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

More about : 6670 video chopping fps issue

January 7, 2012 10:39:30 AM

I looked up the "recommended" requirements. A 5850 was the minimum card they listed.......... others were older cards that needed adjustment to use. barring the expense of another more expensive card/6850/6870/5960/460-560ti, etc.......... instead of lowering the card why not first try lowering the monitors resolution ? even at 1024x768 with "normal' graphics settings might help. Also try lowering the AA/Af, etc.
m
l
January 8, 2012 2:52:50 AM

So after some more testing and research it turns out the AMD Catalyst software was causing the issue. I unistalled the software and then re-installed only the driver and the issue went away.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2012 1:26:26 PM

krisco65 said:
So after some more testing and research it turns out the AMD Catalyst software was causing the issue. I unistalled the software and then re-installed only the driver and the issue went away.

How does the game run with that computer? I just ordered same thing.
m
l
January 17, 2012 1:11:28 AM

blitz_90 said:
How does the game run with that computer? I just ordered same thing.

It runs pretty well. If I had to make a gripe I wish it was $75 more in price and had a better video card, but it does eun the game decently.
m
l
!