Sign in with
Your question

PSU - Loud pop noise

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2012 9:41:02 AM

Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you can help me: Normally every night when I'm finished using my computer and it is shut down I will also flip the I/O switch on the PSU. But recently when I've been turn the PSU on I've been getting a loud pop noise, I've used electronics long enough to know it is an electrical sound.

After the popping noise the lights on the motherboard are all working, the system turns on and works as it should. The only thing that has changed recently, I've change my gfx card from the Nvidia GTX 295 to the XFX 7970 Black Edition which actually draws less power, I may have accidently knocked the motherboard during installation of the new card.

The reason I think it may be the PSU: I used to get a high pitch whine noise but always thought it was my old gfx card drawing too much power as I haven't got it since, except maybe on Minecraft which is a known problem.

I know enough about components to build my own, but I'm lost when it comes to the electrical side of things, I hope someone can advise.

PSU: bequiet! - Dark Power Pro 850W (BQT P9-850W)

More about : psu loud pop noise

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
March 11, 2012 9:45:13 AM

Sounds like bad Mojo (mojo, not mobo- lol) to me. How old is this power supply? Do you have another one to replace it with and see if the noise persists? Or is the PSU under warranty for an RMA?

Since you don't know much about the electrical side (I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination).. Bad PSU's commit murder/suicide quite often when they die.. Meaning they'll could blow out your motherboard, and many other things. This needs further investigation ASAP.
m
l
March 11, 2012 9:55:01 AM

PSU has a 3 year warranty and I've had it between 1-2 years. I have another PSU to swap out and test it, but it's not powerful enough to run the system under full load and I won't be able to test this till later tonight.

I should be able to RMA it but just wanted to get some advice before I did :)  Not too worried about it frying the internals as it has so many fail safes inside of it... (Over current protection, Undervoltage protection, Short circuit safeguard, Temperature safeguard and Overload Protection) Although that's just hoping that the pop noise isn't one of these safeguards being used... lol
m
l
Related resources
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
March 11, 2012 10:08:48 AM

kakersuk said:
PSU has a 3 year warranty and I've had it between 1-2 years. I have another PSU to swap out and test it, but it's not powerful enough to run the system under full load and I won't be able to test this till later tonight.

I should be able to RMA it but just wanted to get some advice before I did :)  Not too worried about it frying the internals as it has so many fail safes inside of it... (Over current protection, Undervoltage protection, Short circuit safeguard, Temperature safeguard and Overload Protection) Although that's just hoping that the pop noise isn't one of these safeguards being used... lol

Yea, don't count on those safeguards. Thats like airbags in cars, thats nice... if they work.
m
l
March 11, 2012 10:24:43 AM

nekulturny said:
Yea, don't count on those safeguards. Thats like airbags in cars, thats nice... if they work.

Haha, nice analogy. Temporarily I will just not use the I/O switch on the back and go back to the retailer tomorrow and see what they say.
m
l
!