panokan

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Hi, a few days ago i have opened my Psu and i have notice some green liguid

upon some capacitors , i think that its time for a new Psu before i explode in

the air....... :cry: :cry: :cry: i did not touch anything due the high voltage of the big 2 capacitors just opened the psu , taken photos and the closed it again.

the psu is still working fine... :sarcastic:

what do you suggest.... Thanks in advance :D

DSC01821.jpg

DSC01826.jpg

panokan

Honorable
May 20, 2012
yes you are right man. Thanks again you saved me money. :) i was worried that i would fire up my pc. thanks again.

InvalidError

Titan
I second what 47 said. The whitish stuff is a sort of cement/glue used to reduce vibration stress on solder joints and component leads, it has absolutely nothing to do with leaking caps.

I could not find any 'green liquid' either, unless the cement looks green to you.

Nearly all PSU manufacturers do this. Most cements I have seen break off quite easily if you pry components a little.

panokan

Honorable
May 20, 2012
i dont have any problem with spikes its just 3 years old.... its a tagan 600w i know its not the best brand in psu..... i was just wondering... So it can last a bit more... :) thanks again.

InvalidError

Titan
Here is an image of typical leaking caps:
http://en.community.dell.com/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x550/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/0447.bad_2D00_caps2.jpg

They usually leak from the top where the metal is stamped to make it thinner/weaker so it can act as a safety vent or from the bottom either due to the "plug" popping out from the can or the plug's vent leaking if present.

Additional note on cement found on PCBs between components: it also prevents components from damaging each other from friction - no friction possible when components are cemented together.

panokan

Honorable
May 20, 2012
aha nice information :) thanks now i can check right.. my psu. but i have one quesion why do they use electrolytic capacitors?? They can not use solid one?? Or solids can not achieve the specs of electrolytic??

InvalidError

Titan

Inexpensive, low impedance, good energy density, decent AC ripple capacity (in specific models), reliable when manufactured and chosen properly.

The reasons why electrolytic capacitors fail so often in cheap PSUs are mainly due to low-quality electrolyte (mainly affects cheap Chinese knock-off brands like Fuhjyyu) and using under-specified parts. Cheap PSUs often use only one or two knock-off capacitors rated for 0.7-1A RMS ripple on 20A rails where there may be around 10A RMS ripple. Good PSUs are more likely to have 2-3 major-brand (non-knock-off) capacitors rated for 2.5-4A each which makes them far less likely to fail than the Chinese stuff.

Polymer caps with better performance (5-6A RMS ripple) vs size characteristics are available but they are considerably more expensive.

InvalidError

Titan

But FSP Aurum Gold 1000W at ~$180 has the BOM budget to afford polymer caps.

For PSUs in the neighborhood of $70, the BOM gets much tighter.

Much tighter still when looking at Chinese OEM PSUs that can be had for $20-30.