Can faulty cpu cause ram slot to fail

davepickles123

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
mobo - ga-ma790fx-ds5

bios updated - F8i

cpus tested - amd 64 x2 6000 & athlon II x3 435 (Needed BIOS update for x3 cpu to be recognised)

mem - elixir pc2-6400 1gb - 4 sticks

When i use the Athlon 64 x2 6000 mem slots 2 and 4 fail?? slots 1 & 3 together work fine, but thats no good cause dont have dual channel.

however all slots and memory work fine with the athlon II x3 435 cpu.

So obviously i suspect the Athlon 64 x2 6000 cpu.

I also cannot get SLI enable on this board, although both g/cards are plugged in and work, but SLI option is missing in the Nvidia panel??

Can the PCI-E bridges ever fail for no reason?

Ive not long had this mainboard, my last mainboard failed after BIOS update but also had 4 blowen capacitors.

need help and advice here, cause not sure weather the athlon 6000 cpu is on its way out, or should i return the mainboard....but if it is the mainboard why does the ram work with the x3 cpu??

thx. dave.

CDdude55

Distinguished
I'm sorry to say, but according to Gigabytes site as well as newegg, there is only metion of CrossfireX support for that board.

Also AM2 chips do not work on AM3 boards, as the AM3 memory controller is different. If it where the other way around it would work (AM3 CPU on an AM2/AM2+ board)

davepickles123

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
CDdude 55, cheers for reply.

this board supports am2+, am2 and am3 according gigabyte (i put link to my board below)

i had to flash bios for the athlon x3 to work though, but the am2 cpu x2 6000 does work and the computer runs normal but two ram slots dont work?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2694#

also what is crossfireX support? is that for SLI? If so thats no problem, i just bought decent new g/card anyhow. im selling the 2 sli cards.

p.s i love futurama! ;)

CDdude55

Distinguished

CrossfireX is AMD's multi-GPU platfrom, meaning the board can only use two AMD cards together and not Nvidia cards.