Game crashes, stuttering, Huge fluctuations in frame rates

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hi guys, I got a new HD6770 which was bad so RMA'd it but now the new one seems to have the same problem. The problems were as described in the title and the gpu core clock being stuck at 500mhz which I have now fixed by making a preset so it runs at 850mhz(the proper clock rate). I am waiting for a reply from gigabyte as my computer wont boot properly it keeps on spinning the fan up and down and then boots but I found another thread where a person had the same problem, he installed a new bios for his gigabyte board and it worked so I am waiting for gigabyte to send me a new bios too.

The real problem right now is that I am getting stuttering, crashes and fluctuations in frame rates.

Battlefield 3- Tried everything from Low-Ultra and different resolutions but the game still stutters on movement and gameplay is choppy even though my FPS are anywhere between 25-60 FPS ! averaging out at 40 FPS.

Driver:SA- Again tried all sorts of settings but HUGE frame rate drops all the way from 60-70fps to 20-25 fps

Splinter Cell Conviction: Constant game crashes, about 30 FPS max, different settings

The only game that seems to work fine after updating my graphic card is NFS the run, which is running smooth at a steady 30 FPS. I have tried updating my drivers but that doesnt seem to work. I did however fiddled around with a few settings like wait for vertical refresh(from OFF to always ON) and tessellation in catalyst control centre and it seemed to improve the stuttering/choppyness of battlefield 3 so I am pretty sure this sort of bad performance has to do with software and not hardware. I was hoping someone can provide me with some info on the settings.

System Specs:

E5200 2.5ghz OC @ 3.51ghz
4gb 800mhz Ram
XFX 1gb HD 6770 GPU
320gb HDD
XFX pro 650watt PSU
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Also changing the settings makes very little difference in battlefield 3 doesnt matter whether I play at ultra or low I always average out around 40 FPS :S

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

Yes done all that, Intel burn test at max stress and done 20 times, prime 95 1-2 hours. Its been working fine for like two-three days :S and the CPU temperatures hit max 49C while stressing. Graphic card temperatures hit max of 62C when trying to play a game.

CPU Cooler: Arctice Freezer Pro 7

xf1xcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

i had a similar problem but turns out the power supply wasnt delivering enough amperage on my higher end graphics card.worked ok on the gtx 460 but not on the radeon 6950

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
i had a similar problem but turns out the power supply wasnt delivering enough amperage on my higher end graphics card.worked ok on the gtx 460 but not on the radeon 6950

Yeah but I have a good and powerful PSU which is 650Watts and gives 53 amps on the rail. I have had this issue with two different psu one was a 500watt and now a 650 watt so cant be the power supply.

xf1xcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

i had a 650 psu as well but it was fluctuating,so the new corsair 1200 watt gives me major stability and if i go to two 6950's im still covered.but then im running 24 gigs of corsair vengeance ram as well.my system ran fine till i put that big graphics card in .then the problems started.have u tried to put the old one in and see if it works ok

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

Yes I have tried both old and new PSUs and they both have the same problem. 650watts is more than I even need so it shouldnt be a problem. My 8800gts boots first time but hvnt played games on it ever its just a spare card I got from somewhere.

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

I searched after reading your post and found something but it says they are for Multiple GPUs so like crossfire or something. Can you provide a link to single gpu profiles if you have it ?

What about the GPU ?

Download OCCT 4.0 and run the GPU test for 60 minutes

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

Right now, I'm on a connection that sucks big time, even a google search is taking like 5 minutes...... is this really 2012..... OMG.
I'll try and post the links, but, you need to find CAP files ( Catalyst Application Profiles ) doesn't matter if they're are for CF setups.... they're just providing the directions for the already Installed drivers.

Hey I forgot to ask you, did you remove the Nvidia drivers from the rig before you installed the ATI card?
If not..... Oh oh.... big mistake....
You'll need to use driver sweeper to get rid of all the Nvidia and the ATI drivers now, then Fresh install the 11.11 Drivers, not the new one, that's been a pain for me.

xf1xcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

sorry i was reffering to a different graphics card those 8800's are power howgs

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

I will do that tests once I get time cheers.

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

No worries mate. I will get the CAP files and install them then and let you know the outcome.

The nvidia card is a spare card that I used to test whether there was something wrong with my computer or it was specific to the graphic card/ATI Drivers and I didnt install any additional nVidia software, the nVidia driver was installed by windows 7 itself which I then removed before shutting down and plugging the HD6770 back in and then I re installed the ATI drivers. Tried the ATI 11.12 and the latest 12.1 Preview.

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

8800gts is a pretty power hungry card and PCIe 2.0 yet it boots fine so it suggests the Power Supply is not at fault. The problem is with gigabyte bios and newer PCIe 2.0 cards but it still doesnt explain the FPS fluctuations, choppy gameplays and crashes.

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hey alyoshka, I installed the CAP 2. I cant really tell the difference it seems to have been improved but I quit the game in a different area before installing CAP 2 so I dont know whether the little improvement is because of the CAP or the point the game is at right now. :S I will try to install CAP 1 instead and see if that does any good. Any other advice you can give me ? cheers

Disable Graphics Overdrive /CPU Overdrive and AMD Overdrive after restoring them to their default values, if they are enabled in the CCC. I get this Half Screen zigzagging problems if I enable it and then game and quit gaming, then the desktop starts acting weird waist down :) try that out.

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

I did disable AMD overdrive but that doesnt do any good. My CPU is low spec but searching on google shows people with i3/i5/i7s are having this problem too. HD6770 is more than capable of playing this game at medium atleast. I dont know what the problem is now. This game is laggy because NFS the run uses the DICE engine too, made by the same company too and it runs better even though its a completely different genre it should still be having some problems but it doesnt. I turned on the performance graph in BF3 and it shows a lot of spikes and that would suggest my CPU is unstable but I have run intel burn test and prime 95 and my CPU is stable. I am going to perform that GPU test for 60 minutes too when I get time.

monsta

Splendid
Hey mate , have you tried using the Gigabyte Bios updater from their site for your model card?
Its worth a go , they have released bios updates for their cards with that problem so update the cards bios and see if that helps you.

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
My graphic card is an XFX graphic card so I cant update the bios as they dont even have a new one online. I still havent had a reply from gigabyte about the motherboard. I had a spare HDD which I installed 64-bit windows 7 on and freshly installed battlefield 3 on it. Now when I ran it with the drawFPS command in the first mission where you break into the train it ran without any stuttering, just some audio issue where the gunshot sounds were off, I am fine with that but the FPS said it was running at like 19-28 FPS but I could tell it wasnt it was alteast 30 FPS, it seemed so much faster and better. Then I reached the second mission where you are just about to get off the humvee before going to find the marines but it kept crashing before I got out the car and at that time I had 11.12 drivers(latest stable), so then I updated to driver 12.1(preview) and then I could make it just fine without stutter to the bit where the sergeant breifs you about the mission and where the marines went missing and after that my game crashes again and now it keeps crashing there. I looked at the crash log and it said its a BEX error which I fixed by turning off DEP and now I got an APPCRASH error which I cant find a solution to. Then I switched my old savegames back with the new one where I was at a further level and the stutter returns, even the intro screen stutters on my old game files. what the hell is wrong ? has anyone experienced anything like this ? :S Again I know my hardware isnt the best but this seems like a software problem, I mean how does replacing game save files help reduce stutter even on auto/high settings :S

030910TA

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

Yeah I killed the OC and GPU was never overclocked anyway everything is on default for the GPU. Killing the OC did not work though. I got stuck in a mission where I couldnt kill the runners so looked it up online and someone had uploaded his/her game saves uptill that mission so I copied it and now my game is running fine. It runs at about 35-45 fps and the stuttering is MUCH MUCH less. Have not seen any crashes so far.
Cant believe an E5200 is running this game at 35-45 fps on high, if I get a better quad core I would be hitting 60 fps probably.