Sign in with
Your question

Using both PCI and PCI-express graphics cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2012 1:08:16 PM

Hello,

Basically,
Can I use any of the following to run 4 monitors? (on an Ausu P5P43TD PRO motherboard) (windows 7 64 bit)

1) two Geforce 8400 GS 512MB PCI cards,
2) one Geforce 8400 GS 512MB PCI and one PCI-e (some similar geforce card)
3) two PCIe x1 cards (either SLI or not)() (probably Geforce 210 i think)

In more detail,
I currently have 4 monitors at work, and have fortunately obtained a faster computer, and want to continue running 4 monitors. My current setup has two outputs from intel integrated graphics, and two from a PCI (not express) Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, and it works fine. The new motherboard has:
1 x PCI-e x16
2 x PCI-e x1
3 x PCI

One option would be an ATI Radeon HD 6000 series with DVI, HDMI, and Dispplay Port. However that would involve buying two display port monitors, and I want to do this much more cheaply than that. Another too expensive option would be to buy two Matrox DualHead2Go or one TripleHead2Go, and one PCI-e card good enough for 4 monitors.

Option 1 above would involve buying one more PCI card (about 50 pounds).
Option 2 would mean buying one PCI-e card (about 25 pounds)
Option 3 means buying two PCI-e cards (about 50 pounds)

Therefore option 2 is my favourite (which is why it's in the title), then 3, then 1.

I have searched for information on whether these setups would work but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Could someone here provide me with one?

Thank you very much everyone for your help,

James
January 7, 2012 5:35:19 PM

Ok never mind. I remembered that I had an ATI card to hand, though I hadn't even considered that it might work. I tried it anyway and it did....

So I currently have a PCI GeForce 8400 and a PCI-express ATI Radeon 4870 X2 running 4 monitors in windows 7. As the ATI card isn't mine I'll buy an older, cheaper GeForce one. Thanks anyway.

James
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 8, 2012 2:25:39 AM

Any of the 3 options should work. If you do option #3, you don't want SLI.
!