Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is overclocking required- cpu

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 25, 2012 4:07:28 PM

as far as gaming on single 1080p monitor at high settings(not ultra high) is considered, would 4 core 3.4ghz processor like i5 3750 be enough, ie is overclocking required. is there a need to get the k model that can overclock.

More about : overclocking required cpu

a b à CPUs
June 25, 2012 4:09:44 PM

No overclocking is not required.
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 25, 2012 4:19:55 PM

Well depending on which games you want to play. FOR EX:
Games such as WoW can get increased performance through overclocking because the game is cpu dependent.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 25, 2012 4:25:28 PM

amuffin said:
Well depending on which games you want to play. FOR EX:
Games such as WoW can get increased performance through overclocking because the game is cpu dependent.


i would be playing games like battlefield, nfs hp2,fifa 12, dirt3, formula one, crysis series, call of duty series etc
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 25, 2012 4:26:47 PM

All those games are more gpu dependent than cpu, you will be fine.
m
0
l
a c 346 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
June 25, 2012 4:31:15 PM

anish449 said:
as far as gaming on single 1080p monitor at high settings(not ultra high) is considered, would 4 core 3.4ghz processor like i5 3750 be enough, ie is overclocking required. is there a need to get the k model that can overclock.


I think you mean 3570, not 3750.

No, overclocking is not required. But, for the $15 price premium, I would preserve the option and buy the "K" anyway.
A "K" will transform that 3.4 cpu into a 4.3 cpu with a simple and conservative raising of the multiplier from 34 to 43.

If you are near a microcenter, they will sell you a 3570K for $190, a good deal.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 4:53:54 PM

geofelt said:
I think you mean 3570, not 3750.

No, overclocking is not required. But, for the $15 price premium, I would preserve the option and buy the "K" anyway.
A "K" will transform that 3.4 cpu into a 4.3 cpu with a simple and conservative raising of the multiplier from 34 to 43.

If you are near a microcenter, they will sell you a 3570K for $190, a good deal.


yeah i meant 3570 and 3570k
m
0
l
a c 190 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2012 5:43:36 PM

The Intel® Core™ i5-3570K is a really nice processor but one of the things that gives it that extra value is that you can overclock it and get better overall performance from it. I have talked to a lot of people who aren't planning on overclocking at the start of the processor but they really like to have the ability to go in 6 months or a year and overclock it and get a big boost of performance.
m
0
l
a c 480 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2012 6:00:22 PM

Overclocking is not required to play games unless your CPU is slower than the minimum requirements for the games.

But, overclocking can improve game performance overall, depending on the game. Some games are not dependent on the CPU as long as it is fast enough; for example Crysis 2's performance is basically the whether your Core i5 is clock at 2.5GHz, 3.0Hz, or even 4.5GHz. That game is more dependent on the GPU. On the other hand Skyrim is dependent on both CPU and GPU so there should be a noticeable difference between 2.5GHz and 4.5GHz unless the GPU is so slow that it is bottlenecking the CPU.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 4:15:08 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
The Intel® Core™ i5-3570K is a really nice processor but one of the things that gives it that extra value is that you can overclock it and get better overall performance from it. I have talked to a lot of people who aren't planning on overclocking at the start of the processor but they really like to have the ability to go in 6 months or a year and overclock it and get a big boost of performance.


the most demanding task for my computer would be gaming, do u think that more than 3.4 ghz is required to power a 1080p monitor, also i heard ivy gets pretty hot while overclocking so require additional cpu coolers, how much oc can be done on stock coolers. also what is the diff between processor in tray and box(in intel ark site) does it mean presence of stock cooler in box and no cooler in tray.

what is the safe limit for oc(changing multiplier) while using stock cooler and in other cpu coolers.
thank u for the reply
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 4:19:04 PM

jaguarskx said:
Overclocking is not required to play games unless your CPU is slower than the minimum requirements for the games.

But, overclocking can improve game performance overall, depending on the game. Some games are not dependent on the CPU as long as it is fast enough; for example Crysis 2's performance is basically the whether your Core i5 is clock at 2.5GHz, 3.0Hz, or even 4.5GHz. That game is more dependent on the GPU. On the other hand Skyrim is dependent on both CPU and GPU so there should be a noticeable difference between 2.5GHz and 4.5GHz unless the GPU is so slow that it is bottlenecking the CPU.


so at 1080p single monitor setup also would there be considerable difference between 3.4ghz and 4.5ghz while playing games like skyrim
m
0
l
a c 140 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2012 4:35:06 PM

The main reason I overclock my PCs is for burn-in testing after the initial build. If everything works fine, I restore defaults after a few days. By the time I "need" to overclock due to insufficient performance, I usually have 3-4 other reasons to want to change the whole thing, one of them being that even overclocking wouldn't bridge the performance gap to a meaningful extent anyway.
m
0
l
a c 346 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
June 26, 2012 9:18:11 PM

anish449 said:
so at 1080p single monitor setup also would there be considerable difference between 3.4ghz and 4.5ghz while playing games like skyrim


At stock, the 3570K is plenty good enough for almost anything.
It generally runs cool, even with a modest OC, say 4.0-4.2.
It is only when added voltage is needed to go past 4.5 or so that the heat really builds up.

In the end, virtually all games will be limited by the graphics card when using a 3570K.
m
0
l
!