Sign in with
Your question

New CPU/MOBO/PSU

Last response: in CPUs
June 25, 2012 4:18:57 PM

Halloooo..

I am thinking of upgrading my system. I am currently running an ASUS P7P55D mobo with an i5 (circa may 2010). I have a 650 watt power supply, with 16 GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws RAM (Speeds are 9-9-9-24-2n, not the best but at the time I had no idea wtf these times were soes). Zotac GTX 560ti video card, 2 SSDs 1 HDD.

What I noticed with the P7P55D series (just regular, no LX, XE, EX or whatever), is that even with SSD, boot times are slow. Seems to take like 15 seconds to get to the Windows loading screen, which seems to be common with this mobo type.

Anyways, I am thinking of upgrading, at the time when I bought my system i7s were new and cost a lot, thats why I went with my i5..

I want an i7 with a MOBO that will support it, as well as a new PSU as I do not think that a 650w will support everything (It may, i just don't really know). I may want to resort to two new video cards in the future (SLI/Crossfire), so with that I'd probably need at least an 800-1000 watt PSU.

I was doing some research and found a new CPU/MOBO/PSU that would cost me almost 800 bucks, so I was kinda weary. I am looking to spend no more than 500-600, but seeing as these 3 are the main components a system needs, I may push closer to the $600 mark.

If you can please use canadacomputers.com, as I am closest to it and I am in Canada soes :) 

Any tips or advice, hopefully a MOBO/CPU/PSU that supports what I already have in my RAM/GPU?

More about : cpu mobo psu

Related resources
June 25, 2012 5:33:42 PM

Question is now...would this be better than what I have? and by what amount (I don't want to wait 15 seconds to get to the loadup screen, does this do anything like that?)? I'd rather spend a fair bit more on a CPU to make sure that it will be that much better than what I have now.

I should also add, I want to be able to be scalable for future CPU/etc releases, as my MOBO is minited to 1156 ONLY CPUs which is like a handful.

Also, Im already at a 650w PSU, so I am assuming it (650w) is good enough for anything new, what about for handling multiple video cards? I just don't like my PSU because there are a lot of unused cables and its a friggin' mess in my case (and its huge, the antec nine hundred series)

Late Edit - Im also a gamer, so games like Crysis 3 I want to be able to play on high without any issues...will these pieces of hardware help?

Also, I use dual monitors, so support for that helps too...
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 7:16:29 AM

A 650W will be able to power 2 560ti's easily, especially the one I linked to you.
m
l
June 26, 2012 1:01:48 PM

amuffin said:
A 650W will be able to power 2 560ti's easily, especially the one I linked to you.

What if I wanted to run dual 680's? I read they need an 800w PSU. I want to be scalable for the future incase I do want to go and get those, or any newer cards..

Edit - Which Motherboard has the best POST time, because my Asus p7p55d has a horrid startup (even when tweaked) which takes 15 seconds.
(see: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270816-30-p7p55d-slow...)
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:51:24 AM

Sadly, EUFI boards sometimes post SLOWER than older boards, if they have SATA 6 controllers with RAID and such...but from finishing POST to login it can be as fast as 5-10 seconds. POST is even more now, the slowest part of boot time...

I time my push-button to POST to Windows desktop, about 28 seconds on a Crucial SSD and i7-3930k. Most of that is the Intel RST bios load and USB detection.
m
l
June 27, 2012 1:40:04 PM

georgekn3mp said:
Sadly, EUFI boards sometimes post SLOWER than older boards, if they have SATA 6 controllers with RAID and such...but from finishing POST to login it can be as fast as 5-10 seconds. POST is even more now, the slowest part of boot time...

I time my push-button to POST to Windows desktop, about 28 seconds on a Crucial SSD and i7-3930k. Most of that is the Intel RST bios load and USB detection.

I do not understand this though, how can older boards outdo a board from 2010? Seems the entire P7P55D series was like this. I highly doubt many are like that. 5 seconds from Post to Splash screen is ok, but you'd think with how much we'd advanced with technology that this should be near instant (or ~3 seconds).

I have the Crucial M4 (no RAID - use 1 for the OS other for gaming) with my i5 750 and right after the 15 seconds its like ~10 seconds from splash to desktop. I just feel that there is no use of having an SSD if it takes 15 seconds to boot; I noticed when I updated my BIOS a few months back that there are a lot of LEDs that go on during the 15 seconds (I believe DRAM, HD, RAM, etc checks) but if there was a way to turn it off, I assume this 15 seconds would drop significantly (i have turned off the BIOS splash and other possible splash screens before the Windows one and it did nothing).

Is there a fast MOBO that goes from the ON button to Windows Splash in less than 6 seconds?
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:13:58 PM

There is, but it runs Windows 8. Windows 7 best load time is 20-30 seconds and that's about as fast as it gets. EUFI has a lot of work to do, more if it has SATA 6 controllers onboard...It's just doing a lot more in the background than a BIOS does.
From button push to EUFI screen can be 5-10 seconds, then from when that closes to the login screen is another 5-10 seconds, then 5-10 seconds until Windows is "ready"
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:28:01 PM

georgekn3mp said:
There is, but it runs Windows 8. Windows 7 best load time is 20-30 seconds and that's about as fast as it gets. EUFI has a lot of work to do, more if it has SATA 6 controllers onboard...It's just doing a lot more in the background than a BIOS does.
From button push to EUFI screen can be 5-10 seconds, then from when that closes to the login screen is another 5-10 seconds, then 5-10 seconds until Windows is "ready"

Thats pretty damn weird, Ive only read of my board getting these slow push button to windows splash (Loading Windows...) being this delayed, didnt think it was for mostly everybody. Its crazy because once I hit the LOADING WINDOWS it takes ~5 seconds to get to login, then another 5 to get to desktop (at the highest). I turned off the BIOS screens, so once it loads it goes to the Windows Splash (I know to hit DEL if I want to enter my BIOS soes)

Pull it together MOBO makers :p 

Here is a video similar to how my system starts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er-RQCmtdxo (he turns his system on at 0:07 and then gets something on his screen around 0:25)
m
l
!