Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help me choose my upgrade path please

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2012 7:45:35 AM

Based on my 2 systems both being about 3 years old with various upgrades, what is the best most affordable path for me to take. I have an AMD 7550 Dual Core 2.5ghz processor in a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P with 8GB of DDR 2, 4 total hard drives for 3.5TB Sata(3 x 1tb and 500gb main system drive), a Geforce 9400 GT 1gb PCI-E, a Plextor 16 X Sata DVD-RW, and a 300 watt PSU in my workhorse system. I am in the process of putting together my media center system around an Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz in an MSI motherboard, I haven't had it running with all parts in awhile so not sure of the model but it has 4 X PCI-E 16/8, 2 X PCI-E X 1, 6 X Sata, 8 X USB 2.0 rear, 2 X front, 2 X Gigabit LAN, and Sound Blaster X-Fi 7.1 HD Audio on board, haven't yet added but have an LG BH12LS35 Blu Ray Burner, a WD 1.5TB Sata HDD, an Hitachi 2.0TB HDD, an MSI Nvidia Geforce 430 GT 2 GB DDR 3 PCI-E video card, a Diamond ATI 750 HD Theater PCI-E X 1, and a Logitech Harmony 300 (bought a Windows Media Center remote for the IR blaster to use this remote as it already controls everything else I use in my small home theater). What is my best choice for an upgrade path at this point that is also affordable based on my existing hardware and the fact that I only intend to play EverQuest, Skyrim and emulators through Hyperspin up to Wii and Sega Naomi/Model 2/Model 3 etc? I really use my JTAG 360 and modded PS2 for most of my gaming needs and intend to get a PS3 again when money permits, traded my last one for a 42 inch LCD tv that I use as my monitor for both computers and all consoles are hooked up to it as well. I can slowly build one up over time as sales come along but I have been looking at the AMD FX processors since Microcenter has had some really good sales on them with a motherboard combo for $150-$250 depending on which processor and board you get. Also figured I'd add 16 GB of DDR 3 since it is so cheap now and a SSD to the system I upgrade for the OS and apps and then use the new hard drives I have for other storage. I just don't see the need for a $150-$250 video card when I don't intend to play any games outside of the stuff I mentioned on the PC so take that into consideration. I appreciate any guidance you guys can offer.
:sol: 

More about : choose upgrade path

a b B Homebuilt system
March 11, 2012 12:01:46 PM

I have some sandy bridge 1155 cpus dirt cheap listed in anandtech's for sale forum if you're interested and want to register. I'm going to keep one and sell the other, whichever goes first. Microcenter deals are also good; 2500k with gigabyte z68 motherboard for $229 plus tax (before rebate). They're discounting the board $50 but it's in stores only. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1175583/
m
l

Best solution

March 11, 2012 12:06:31 PM

Please use some paragraphing - it makes it easier for us to read.
I suggest that you get yourself a Core i3 2100 coupled with a H67 motherboard
which would be a better choice given the current state of AMD in the CPU market.

As for the video card, I suggest the Radeon HD 7750 which can be found for 110$.
The best thing is that you wouldn't have to upgrade your PSU to run these parts.
Related resources
March 11, 2012 2:03:19 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
March 11, 2012 4:06:03 PM

Sorry Mousemonkey I was a bit confused on where to post and it was very late at night so I wasn't too focused either and I should have double spaced and made a couple of paragraphs, sorry about that.

So it's time to go back to Intel. Would it be worth it to wait until Ivy Bridge is out later this year and is it worth waiting on the Intel 6 cores that are out now to go down in price or see if they release an 8 core since Windows 8 is supposed to finally address multiple cores efficiently?

Thanks for your input and advice, now I have some goals to work towards as finances permit
m
l
March 11, 2012 4:25:46 PM

I put this together as a goal to work towards over the next few weeks or if it takes a month or 2 whatever.

http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.aspx?RedirectUrl=http%...

Let me know what you think. I'm going to go with my current video card, hard drives, case, optical drives and peripherals until I decide to get a better video card later.

I've been running a Geforce 9400 GT 1GB for a long time and recently bought but haven't installed the MSI Geforce 430 GT 2 GB and for what few games I play I think it will be fine.
m
l
March 18, 2012 3:45:55 AM

Best answer selected by Memnoch9299.
m
l
!