Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Installation question for PNY GeForce GT430

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2012 2:33:56 PM

I've been having some intermittent problems with my system's video. I've swapped out both the DVI cable and monitor, with other ones that I have, but that didn't help. I believe my existing drivers are ok All that's left is either the graphics card or mobo....so I'm hoping that changing the graphics card will get rid of this problem.

I just got the GT430 card to replace the X800GT in my system. The only installation information that came with the card is for the physical installation.. Although a driver CD came with the card, there is no mention of how/when to load drivers. I have a few questions regarding the physical installation.

The GT430 is PCIe 2.0...my current card is an older PCIe version. I was assured that this card would be backward compatible with my PCIe slot. Is that true? I'm planning to install it in a Dell XPS (running XP Pro) that I've had for about 4-5 years.

My current card has a 6 wire connector...The GT430 does not...it just mounts into the PCIe slot. Is this going to be a problem, or does the new card get everything it needs to operate from the PCIe slot?

Is there anything that I need to do regarding drivers before I physically change the card out?

Thanks for any help.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 3:05:47 PM

"The GT430 is PCIe 2.0...my current card is an older PCIe version. I was assured that this card would be backward compatible with my PCIe slot. Is that true? " Yes it is true

"Is this going to be a problem" no , it is not going to be a problem

"or does the new card get everything it needs to operate from the PCIe slot? " yes, it gets the required power from slot and does not require a power connector

"Is there anything that I need to do regarding drivers before I physically change the card out? " Yes , uninstall your previous drivers and then replace your old card with new one (turn off your pc) and then install the new drivers
January 8, 2012 3:11:17 AM

truegenius said:
"The GT430 is PCIe 2.0...my current card is an older PCIe version. I was assured that this card would be backward compatible with my PCIe slot. Is that true? " Yes it is true

"Is this going to be a problem" no , it is not going to be a problem

"or does the new card get everything it needs to operate from the PCIe slot? " yes, it gets the required power from slot and does not require a power connector

"Is there anything that I need to do regarding drivers before I physically change the card out? " Yes , uninstall your previous drivers and then replace your old card with new one (turn off your pc) and then install the new drivers

:hello:  Thanks for your reply to my questions. I do a bunch of sports photography and needed to edit some photos that I took earlier today for one of the local papers. Of course, my system's problem (which had been intermittent enough that it was still usable) decided not to cooperate. I was under a time constraint to get some basketball photos to the editor. so, out of frustration I decided just to swap the old card out and see what happened.

The system came right up in EGA...the PNY CD that came with the card loaded its' own driver install program, installed the drivers, and rebooted. I didn't have to uninstall my old drivers...the installation program did what it called a "clean installation", so I think it did everything that needed to be done. The system came up in the same high resolution as my old card. Everything appears to be working fine. I just wanted thank you for taking the time to post an answer. Regards.
Score
January 8, 2012 3:11:46 AM

Best answer selected by tribaltat.
Score
!