Broken Fan Blade EVGA GTX 560ti

cs0875

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Last night a fan blade broke on my fan. The card is working and the temps are good. I already spoke with EVGA and they are processing the RMA and sending a replacement card out probably Monday. My question is this.

What can I do to hopefully keep the card working for the next week? As of now, the card makes a vibrating noise when the fan speed is over 40% and the case is standing up (the case doesn't shake or anything). If the case is lying on its side, it doesn't make a noise until over 60% (again no case shaking). What I have done so far....

-Lay the case on its side (I figured the less vibrating the better, plus the card is veritcal now rather than horizontal)
-Changed the fan settings to keep the fan under 40% until 60c, 50% when over 70c, and 60% when 75c, this is to keep vibration down
-Lowered the PC sleep time to 45 minutes to keep the fan from spinning when I don't use it for a little while.

Is there anything I could to to hopefully keep it working until my RMA arrives?

Well, if a blade is missing its going to cause an unbalanced effect and vibrate. That is all there is to it. The only way to fix it is to buy a new fan, or break the exact same amount off another blade straight across from the broken blade in an effort to balance it out some. It still won't be right, and you may even make it worse, so its your call there.

woahdude444

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I would get a spare 120mm fan and use that. You will need to pull off the old fan (usually 3 small screws) and splice the red and black wires to the red and black on the 120mm fan. You will also want to remove the decorative logo plate so that all the fins of the heatsink are exposed. Get some zip ties and do what you have to to get the 120mm fan to stay in place without damaging the graphics card.

If you don't wanna do that, you will need to find a replacement fan for the fan on the card. However, I have done what I described above for about 4 different graphics cards that had failed fans over the years since I have a few dozen 120mm fans laying around a any given time. Good luck! :hello:

cs0875

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I already have the RMA coming, so I will be getting a new one. I am just trying to extend the life until the new one arrives in about a week. I just need it to last 7-10 days or so.

cs0875

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I guess, my main questions is, not how to fix it (EVGA is sending me a new one) but what I can do to make sure it continues to work until the replacement arrives.

woahdude444

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

I'm not sure there is a way to properly cool the card if you want to game if you are sending the old card back. However, if you can wait to game until the new card comes, I would get a 120mm fan to just blow directly on the card and check the temps (obviously without modding the fan or the card).