32 or 64 Bits

glenn585

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Hello Guys i have a questtion

Should i install windows 7 32 or 64 bits, i dont know which one my PC support x.x

My Processor its Intel Core 2 Duo T6500

Generally speaking, the best benefit of Win 7 64-bit for the average person is that it can address more than 4GB of RAM. Win 7 32-bit will only allow you up to around 3.2GB - 3.5GB of RAM. The rest of the address space is required for the other little hardware items on the motherboard. I think Win 7 64-bit allows you to use up to 24GB of RAM which is much more RAM an average person would need.

The max amount of RAM most laptops can address is 8GB it believe. It's best to check the laptop's manual.

nna2

Distinguished

it goes up to 196 i believe, the lowest being 16GB

glenn585

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
@gamerk316 Ohh nice so i can run both :), ill check if one of the drivers wont support 64 bits, so i will install 32 :) thanks you

@jaguarskx Well my laptop only have 3GB DDR3 RAM, so it will be the same if i install 32 or 64?

from intel's website:
http://ark.intel.com/products/39311?wapkw=intel+core+2+duo+t6500
your processor supports 64bit instructions, you can install 64bit os.
make sure you have enough system ram and storage space. 2 gb ram and 20 gb hdd space are minimum for 64bit.

Solution

If you only have 3GB of physical RAM installed (1GB + 2GB sticks), then all you can get is 3GB. On the other hard, if you have 4GB of physical RAM installed (2GB + 2GB sticks or a single 4GB stick), then total usable RAM will go up to 4GB.

Nope. Address Space != RAM. RAM is part of the Address Space, and typically the largest user. But I've seen plenty of people with 3+GB of RAM installed, and having only 2.75 (or even 2.5!) GB of RAM usable because the rest of the Address Space is used up by hardware.

Windows 64-bit Professional versions can address up to 192GB of Address Space, though I note thats a software limitation. 64-bit as implemented can currently address up to 16TB of Address Space.

nna2

Distinguished

not to forget that a 64 Bit OS could make better use of the CPU, along with some 64 bit compatible software

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
well actually 64bit programs tend to take up a little bit more space in the RAM than their 32 versions. Same thing happens in the caches.
Calling 32bit OSes 'functionally dead' wud be a little too harsh at this moment.....Ubuntu was supposed to default with the 64bit version on their website, but they ended up making the 32 bit version the default - that says something :) Performance increase with 64bit stuff is also not that great in day to day stuff...although in some cases it can't be ignored.

Both have their pro's and con's....it depends on the particular situation :)

glenn585

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks for every answer guys, seems they have both pros and cons, but i usually use this laptop to play some games hehe, tho in low graphics. some people tell me 32 its btter for games, and some tell me 64 its

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Err...if a program is occupying a particular amount of address space, doesn't that mean its been allocated all those ram locations anyway??? isn't it the same thing dude??
Or does address space = Actual RAM used + Space used in the page file??

Anyway, what u've mentioned affects both 32 and 64bit versions equally, so its not a point of justification supporting 64bit anyway :) The bottom line is some 64bit data WILL take up double the space needed to store 32bit data :)

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

No, there won't be issues, atleast not with any modern games....but i'd still prefer u stick with 32bit for now :)