Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD FX 8150 or FX 4170? Which would be better?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 25, 2012 6:10:07 PM

I don't use any massive multi-threaded programs on this computer. I built it mainly for my wife and she plays BF3 and a few other games. None of which to my knowledge will take advantage of all 8 cores.

So my plan is to either get the 8150 and lock it down to four cores and OC the remaining cores or to get the 4170 and OC it.

What I want to know is, which processor would potentially give me the best performance once OC'd? I'll be using an Antec closed loop liquid cooler with two fans in push/pull. So this should give plenty of adequate cooling.

Here are the rest of my specs:

ASRock 970 Extreme4
OCZ ZT 650 PSU
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 TI Classified Ultra 448 Core
8GB Cucial Balistix Tracer (4x2)

More about : amd 8150 4170

a c 185 à CPUs
June 25, 2012 6:15:03 PM

They'll be the same because they use the same core architecture.

Well really, the FX-4170 will be the better option because you will be wasting your money on the 8150.

If you play BF3 multiple cores will benefit you in multiplayer, my recommendation is the FX-8120.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 6:23:12 PM

OK, will 8 cores really give more performance over the 4170 if I OC it?

Thats good to know in BF3. I didn't know it would use all 8.

Can I get as much of an OC boost out of the 8120 as the 8150?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 3:28:35 AM

etrnlxdarkness said:
OK, will 8 cores really give more performance over the 4170 if I OC it?

Thats good to know in BF3. I didn't know it would use all 8.

Can I get as much of an OC boost out of the 8120 as the 8150?

I would get the 8120 just to echo previous statements.

As far as BF3, yes multiplayer will use all 8 cores. Its the only game on the market that I'm aware of currently known to be coded to use more than 2 cores.

As far as OC headroom, some people have chosen the 8150 in the theory that it would overclock further, but no, I have seen nothing so substantiate this. There is nothing that I have seen to suggest the the 8120 cannot be overclocked as high as an 8150. CPUs are like snowflakes though, no two are alike, but all things considered FX-8s are known to handle overclocks greater than 4.5GHZ. Although if you make it that far thats pretty substantial.

You might consider holding off though since PileDriver is due to be released towards the end of this year. FX-8320/8350 model numbers. Its looking like based on Trinity's benchmarks that PileDriver will indeed meet or exceed AMD's 10% improvement goal.
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 3:33:12 AM

nekulturny said:
As far as BF3, yes multiplayer will use all 8 cores. Its the only game on the market that I'm aware of currently known to be coded to use more than 2 cores.


Dirt 3 as well as FSX are two more that I know of (from my own experience), and there are a couple more, I believe. BF3 just so happens to be the only hugely "popular" game that does.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 8:13:45 AM

nekulturny said:
I would get the 8120 just to echo previous statements.

As far as BF3, yes multiplayer will use all 8 cores. Its the only game on the market that I'm aware of currently known to be coded to use more than 2 cores.

As far as OC headroom, some people have chosen the 8150 in the theory that it would overclock further, but no, I have seen nothing so substantiate this. There is nothing that I have seen to suggest the the 8120 cannot be overclocked as high as an 8150. CPUs are like snowflakes though, no two are alike, but all things considered FX-8s are known to handle overclocks greater than 4.5GHZ. Although if you make it that far thats pretty substantial.

You might consider holding off though since PileDriver is due to be released towards the end of this year. FX-8320/8350 model numbers. Its looking like based on Trinity's benchmarks that PileDriver will indeed meet or exceed AMD's 10% improvement goal.


Ok. I think I will go with the 8120 as suggested then. Sounds like it will work just fine.

I do have one other question on the setup. Will it work well with the GTX 560 TI Classified Ultra 448 Core? Mainly worried about bottlenecks and I have been having issues with the GTX 460 SC thats in it right now. I don't know for sure its the card but Windows Aero doesn't always load right at startup. Never pops an error or crash window. It just doesn't function. Restart fixes it 99% of the time though. Just a hassle. It's also got a FX 4100 in it currently OC'd to 4.2GHz if that makes any difference.

I am wondering because even though it says it works with Nvidia cards I am not sure if there might still be some compatibility issues there and I should buy an AMD card instead. I don't really want to because I already own the GTX 560 TI 448. And I am dropping almost 2 grand into my other computer. :/  But if I need to I need to.

If I do have to what card would you recommend? I'd like to keep the price under $200 if possible.

Would this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
-or-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 8:38:46 AM

No there won't be a bottleneck on any video card you pair with it. As far as the issue with aero, thats something that might involve further investigation. My guess is its probably a software issue of some kind, drivers or something. I would make sure everything is current, and the most extreme measure of doing a clean Windows install before I'd look at the hardware side being to blame.

I don't know of any compatibility issues with using an Nvidia card with an AMD CPU. Or an AMD video card with an Intel CPU for that matter.

I do know that for some reason BF3 seems to like Nvidia cards a little better. I'm not sure whats up with that. The 560 TI should be fine, like I said, try to rule out software issues before dropping money on new parts.

As far as the 7850, those cards are about on par with the GTX 570s in terms of performance, and they have massive overclocking potential, that if utilized should outgun the 570. (Its not unheard of to achieve a 40% overclock on a 7850).

Quote:

Would this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814125353
-or-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102948


The 6870 is the better of the two. The 6870 was actually AMD's answer to the GTX 460 in the never-ending arms race. And it is stronger than the 460, and very close to the performance of the 560 TI.

-Edited to reflect your update.
Share
a c 78 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 8:43:43 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Dirt 3 as well as FSX are two more that I know of (from my own experience), and there are a couple more, I believe. BF3 just so happens to be the only hugely "popular" game that does.

Hmm. I wonder if we have hit that paradigm shift in game coding yet?
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 8:47:40 AM

nekulturny said:
Hmm. I wonder if we have hit that paradigm shift in game coding yet?


I don't think it'll be widespread just yet, but when the new consoles get released and ports can be coded to take advantage of better hardware (more cores), I think that's when it'll really take hold.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 8:51:45 AM

Awesome. Thank you guys very much for your time and patients. :)  I will wait and see what happens when I reinstall with the new CPU and the 560TI. Then I will decide if the Card need replaced. I will prolly do the 6870 because the Mobo doesn't actually support PCI-E 3.0. I don't know. I know the 7850 would still perform well in any case though so I may go with it. It's just a bit pricier. lol
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 8:51:59 AM

Best answer selected by etrnlxdarkness.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 8:54:33 AM

etrnlxdarkness said:
Awesome. Thank you guys very much for your time and patients. :)  I will wait and see what happens when I reinstall with the new CPU and the 560TI. Then I will decide if the Card need replaced. I will prolly do the 6870 because the Mobo doesn't actually support PCI-E 3.0. I don't know. I know the 7850 would still perform well in any case though so I may go with it. It's just a bit pricier. lol

No problem, I wouldn't worry too much about PCI 3.0, they've benched it, maybe in the future it will, but so far no PCI 3.0 card in a 3.0 slot seems to have any real advantage over sticking it in a PCI 2.0 slot.
m
0
l
!