PC taking longer to get to POST and recently randomly dying

originaldaniel

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Okay so about 2 weeks ago my PC took about 3minutes to get to POST i didn't think much of it at the time but each day it got longer and longer to get to POST thing is once it booted up, I had no problems turning it on and off throughout the day it only seemed to occur when it was powered down for a lenthy period.

When i turn it on the mornings it seems its struggeling to get power or something but the fans rev up then turn off rev up again sometimes they sit at their slower speeds then randomly revving up quite loudly before turning off again It's difficult to explain via text but simple put: turns on and off like nuts for awhile.

Today however, My PC just turned off and started booting up again in the blink of an eye while runing, At the time i was playing Max Payne 3, So from that i started to get worried it was a GPU problem then again when i was just watching a video it died again And later i was coping a video onto my USB to watch on a different comptuer and again random instant restart Since i wasn't watching and video or gaming when it restarted itself in a split second for the 3rd time i thought it might not be the GPU afterall.

Something elce that worries me to think its possibly a virus is that when i used my External HDD to copy the video since the USB took to long copy, When i plugged my external into my family PC it just shut it off instantly and thats Never happend before. But that could be a unrelated issue it just seemed like too much of a coincidence to not mention.

I'm not much of a hardware guy but i asked my mates about it and
One had said he'd never heard of/seen anything like it,
Another said the RAM was his guess and switching it over to my old set of ram didn't change a thing nor did trying different channels and what not,
Lastly i asked two technitions at my tafe course after the lesson had finished they seemed in abit of a rush to get out of the place (i don't blame em heh)
I gave them a quick summery of my issue like: "taking longer to get to POST only seems to happen when its offline for along time etc" they gave a weird look when i mentioned it taking longer and longer to get to POST but as soon as i mentioned after it boots up once its fine until its offline for awhile they both immidiantly said that the Power Supply is the culprit.

I don't remember my exact PSU model so ill update this tomorrow with proper info but
It's some type of Antec series 550 or 650wats

My setup
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory: Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1066MHZ DDR2
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Operating System:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Motherboard: EP41-UD3L
Case: CoolerMaster CM Storm Scout

I've never heard of a Virus causing power related issues like this before So I'm fairly certain its not a virus
GPU is a possiblity
Power Supply is most likly the issue so i might go buy a replacement tomorrow

I'll update when i can, i might try to get a video to show what its like booting up for those who don't want to read so much :p

Sorry for the long read but it was fairly difficult to explain but yeah any suggestions is greately appreciated :)

Solution
The symptoms seem to be PSU related. If you've run a virus scan and a malware scan, I would try cleaning your system with CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER to remove resource wasting crap and registry errors. Do the Clean and Registry both. And while you're at it, change the CMOS battery if it hasn't been changed for several years. But I'm thinking it sounds like a PSU issue.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The symptoms seem to be PSU related. If you've run a virus scan and a malware scan, I would try cleaning your system with CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER to remove resource wasting crap and registry errors. Do the Clean and Registry both. And while you're at it, change the CMOS battery if it hasn't been changed for several years. But I'm thinking it sounds like a PSU issue.

Solution

originaldaniel

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012

Indeed it turned out to be my PSU dying off, replaced it and it's working perfectly again :)