Do I need the HD kit to use composite cables?

Last response: in Video Games
March 14, 2005 12:13:15 PM

I 'm using a 27" inch SD tv with composite inputs . Can I just use the
cables to get 480i or do I need the HD pack also to take advantage of it
on my tv?

More about : kit composite cables

March 14, 2005 12:13:16 PM

opimus wrote:
> I 'm using a 27" inch SD tv with composite inputs . Can I just use
the
> cables to get 480i or do I need the HD pack also to take advantage of
it
> on my tv?

There are 3rd party component cables that are cheaper. I bought a $10
component cable set that has PS2 and Xbox plugs (for my PS2, not my
Xbox)... It works fine, but since the Xbox has no digital out it would
only work for regular sound. You'd need the HD kit to get both
component and digital audio.

- Jordan
March 14, 2005 3:52:35 PM

theOne wrote:

> seems like the op isn't asking for high def. He simply wants to know
if
> you he can plug in his xbox to his tv without additional peripheals.
>
> i.e. 480i isn't high def.

My bad... I saw "component" instead of "composite" for some strange
reason... Yeah, if he wants a composite connection all he has to do is
use the cable that came with it. If he needs digital audio, the next
cable up has composite, s-video, r/w audio and digital audio.

I actually had that one for a while and it was cool switching between
composite and s-video. It really does make a HUGE difference.

- Jordan
March 14, 2005 6:48:48 PM

"opimus" <opimus@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I 'm using a 27" inch SD tv with composite inputs . Can I just use the
> cables to get 480i or do I need the HD pack also to take advantage of it
> on my tv?

component video or dvi are the only thing that can send a hd signal.. svideo
or the single yellow rca cable wont do it.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:40:09 PM

Sorry for the confusion. My tv has component inputs.
March 14, 2005 8:18:17 PM

Jordan wrote:
> opimus wrote:
>
>>I 'm using a 27" inch SD tv with composite inputs . Can I just use
>
> the
>
>>cables to get 480i or do I need the HD pack also to take advantage of
>
> it
>
>>on my tv?
>

> There are 3rd party component cables that are cheaper. I bought a $10
> component cable set that has PS2 and Xbox plugs (for my PS2, not my
> Xbox)... It works fine, but since the Xbox has no digital out it would
> only work for regular sound. You'd need the HD kit to get both
> component and digital audio.
>
> - Jordan

seems like the op isn't asking for high def. He simply wants to know if
you he can plug in his xbox to his tv without additional peripheals.

i.e. 480i isn't high def.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:18:41 AM

opimus <opimus@webtv.net> wrote:
> I 'm using a 27" inch SD tv with composite inputs . Can I just use the
> cables to get 480i or do I need the HD pack also to take advantage of it
> on my tv?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking...

480i is the standard TV resolution - you don't need the HD pack at all.

480p, on the other hand, *DOES* need the HD pack but assumes that your TV
can accept component (composite) video connections. A component video
connection consists of 3 video cables, usually colored red, green and
blue, although that's not what their signals represent.

Now if you want to use digital audio for surround sound goodness during
games and movies, then you'll need one of the optional connection kits
that adds the optical audio port to the Xbox's connector. You'll have to
buy a optical audio (also called TOSLink) cable separately, but they
aren't too expensive - just stay away from Monster Cable. They're vastly
overpriced.

Now then, my 27" TV doesn't support HD, or progressive scan, but can use
component video. If your TV is like mine, it is to your advantage to get
the HD kit for your Xbox as even at 480i, component video delivers the
sharpest, clearest signal. It really makes a big difference.

If your TV supports progressive scan (480p) or HD (720p, or higher)
then you'll *definitely* want the HD kit - and be sure to configure your
XBox accordingly.

If you need an AV switch, I highly reccomend the Pelican System Selector
Pro, which can handle up to 8 devices using any combination of composite,
svideo or component video inputs. 3 of the devices can use optical audio
as well. Not bad for $80.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:23:46 AM

opimus <opimus@webtv.net> wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion. My tv has component inputs.

Ah. that makes more sense.

If you want to use the component inputs for your Xbox - and trust me, you
do - you'll need to get the HD kit. I got the Microsoft one for $20, and
an optical audio cable for $7. That way I can either use my TV's
speakers, or my receiver for sound.
!