2nd router and DHCP

tronic

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Hello, I just rebuilt my network and I've encountered a problem with my wireless access. Right now I have a Dlink 2540B modem/wired router. To that is connected an 8-port Dlink 2208 Switch and a Linksys WRT110 wireless router. All the desktops connect via ethernet to the switch and everything is working fine. I just added the WRT110 and specified it would be a secondary router on the network but as soon as I got it connected it killed my internet. I assumed this was because of DHCP being enabled, which was true once I logged in and looked. I of course disabled it and now the internet is back up on the wired portion and I can connect to the wireless router as well. But the only problem now is that my wireless devices are not being assigned IP's at all. Specifically, my Mac says "airport has a self assigned ip address and will not be able to connect to the internet"

So my question is: How are IP's assigned to wireless devices that connect to the network via a wireless router with DHCP disabled?

Thanks