icons n shortcuts on desktop are not responding!

October 8, 2004 5:15:46 AM

The other icons and shortcuts e.g. itunes, msn messenger,
icq. and other then the MS default ones on the desktop
and those ones on the lower part of the START part, do
NOT response no matter how many times i double click.

i also wanted to know what is?:
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"wil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
I have discovered this issue this morning after running
disk defragmenter over night. As usual I restart my pc
and login but then i see this blue verticle colume(the
ones similar to the those search, history colume on the
left hand side of every window) after restarting. I right
click, to property trying to fix up the issue under where
it saids Desktop, but eventually doesnt work.

i have check the regestry data
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00021400-0000-0000-C000-
000000000046}\shellex\ExtShellFolderViews\{5984FFE0-28D4-
11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}\PersistMoniker
and it should read: file://%userappdata%
\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Desktop.htt
but it didnt work

i have also tried find "ExtShellFolderViews" and i see
the ATTRIBUTE on the right hand said but the DATA read
00 00 00 20. what is the problem n how i can fix that?
thx for reading n helping

start
Run
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
Enter
Restart Windows.

I ran REGSVR32 /I SHELL32.DLL n solved the issue THANKS
however another problem arise. The other icons(other then
the MS default ones) on the desktop and those ones on the
lower part of the START part, do NOT response no matter
how many times i double click.

thx for helping again.
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 1:59:14 AM

Try the below link for possible shortcut fixes:-

LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)
HTM/HTML Associations (Restore the default associations for htm/html files) and/or
URL File Association Fix (Restores default associations for URL - Internet shortcuts)

"wilwil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The other icons and shortcuts e.g. itunes, msn messenger,
> icq. and other then the MS default ones on the desktop
> and those ones on the lower part of the START part, do
> NOT response no matter how many times i double click.
>
> i also wanted to know what is?:
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "wil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> I have discovered this issue this morning after running
> disk defragmenter over night. As usual I restart my pc
> and login but then i see this blue verticle colume(the
> ones similar to the those search, history colume on the
> left hand side of every window) after restarting. I right
> click, to property trying to fix up the issue under where
> it saids Desktop, but eventually doesnt work.
>
> i have check the regestry data
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00021400-0000-0000-C000-
> 000000000046}\shellex\ExtShellFolderViews\{5984FFE0-28D4-
> 11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}\PersistMoniker
> and it should read: file://%userappdata%
> \Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Desktop.htt
> but it didnt work
>
> i have also tried find "ExtShellFolderViews" and i see
> the ATTRIBUTE on the right hand said but the DATA read
> 00 00 00 20. what is the problem n how i can fix that?
> thx for reading n helping
>

> start
> Run
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
> Enter
> Restart Windows.
>

> I ran REGSVR32 /I SHELL32.DLL n solved the issue THANKS
> however another problem arise. The other icons(other then
> the MS default ones) on the desktop and those ones on the
> lower part of the START part, do NOT response no matter
> how many times i double click.
>
> thx for helping again.
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 4:39:10 PM