Static shock from GPU while taking side panel off?

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Ok, so I was going to change the CPU setting of my H100, so I opened the side panel while the PC was running.

I touched the case before I opened it, twice, and went to change the setting of the H100.

Then there was a very definite ESD from my hands, and it felt like it was aimed at one of the GPUs. I didn't actually touch any component, the potential difference must have been very large because I was about 3 inches away from the GPUs or any other part.

Everything is running fine still, but I am wondering if i could have possibly damaged something? I have never had this happen to me in my life, or maybe it was p.d. between me and the case?

DM186

Splendid
Yes you could of damaged your GPU. First rule never get into your rig while it is running. All you need is a little charge and you could be buying a new card. When they say wear ES gloves they mean that. Count your blessings.

When your rig is running it is running on low voltage with highe amps in it self when you stick your hand in you now become a conductor. The current running through the wires causes a low magnetic field nothing that will hurt your system untill you become the conductor and cause the field to go through you then to ground.

When you get to close to ground it jumps from your hand. Back in the day when I was in the Air Force we would load missiles but if a magnetic storm was in the area we could not load the plane because the little charges that would seperates the missile from the plae could go off.

You can't work in any type of electronic manufacturer with out wearing anti static wrist or ankel straps. Just make sure in the fucture that you un plug your power supply before you decide to go into the case.