Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2012 5:47:24 PM

My Rig:

mobo: Ga-ep43-ds3l
CPU: intel core2quad q9550
GPU 9800GT
RAM OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Gold Edition 4GB Dual Channel
PSU Antec EA-500D GREEN

i want to buy a new vga card because mine is destroyed. when i searched i found many cards that i could buy with the current amount of money i have .
from my searches i found that the available cards that i could get is
SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6790 1GB GDDR5

Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850 Extreme OC

MSI N550GTX-Ti Cyclone II 1GD5/OC

i found that the 6850 is the best of them but i want your advices if i should get it or search for another one.
i want to know also is AMD is Better or NVidia because i never tried AMD (i want the card specially for games)
and i think their is gigabyte and sapphire available in the shops near me so what do you think is better
and i want to know what is the difference between the HD 6850 and the HD 6850 Extreme OC or they are just the same?
P.S
i want a card that could withstand high temperatures because my 9800 gt was damaged 3 times from high temps here in my country (egypt) specially in the summer
if someone could answer me in detail i will appreciate it so much and forgive my language if there is any mistakes :) 
thanks in advance :) 

More about : vga card

a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 6:02:52 PM

hd 6850 is the choice!
Score
a c 260 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 6:06:41 PM

The 6850 is probably a bit stronger card than the rest.
But, any of them will be a bit better than your 9800GT.

The "OC" indicates an overclocked card. It will perform slightly better than a non overclocked card at the expense of higher temperatures.
If you are worried about heat, I would avoid them.

If you change from nvidia to amd, you will have to remove the nvidia graphics drivers and replace them with amd drivers.

Score
Related resources
January 7, 2012 6:29:13 PM

geofelt said:
The 6850 is probably a bit stronger card than the rest.
But, any of them will be a bit better than your 9800GT.

The "OC" indicates an overclocked card. It will perform slightly better than a non overclocked card at the expense of higher temperatures.
If you are worried about heat, I would avoid them.

If you change from nvidia to amd, you will have to remove the nvidia graphics drivers and replace them with amd drivers.

sorry geofelt, but i want to know if the Nvidia cards are better in games or AMDs
because i heart that the AMD has some problems with games or some other issues i can't remember exactly
maybe these problems are for older cards because i heard this info along time ago :) 
do you know which is better (gigabyte or sapphire)
and thanks for your replies
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 6:33:22 PM

TheToMB said:
sorry geofelt, but i want to know if the Nvidia cards are better in games or AMDs
because i heart that the AMD has some problems with games or some other issues i can't remember exactly
maybe these problems are for older cards because i heard this info along time ago :) 
do you know which is better (gigabyte or sapphire)
and thanks for your replies

exactly AMD has a buggy drivers which make the games slighty laggy, whether it's old or new card they both are good in games but my knowledge says NVIDIA is a bit better performance over AMD otherwise they both are good in games.
Score

Best solution

a c 260 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 6:36:20 PM

It depends on the game.
On balance, though, you get what you pay for with either amd or nvidia.
There are fanboys in both camps.
January 7, 2012 6:38:05 PM

so you think this isn't a big problem
now the only question is gigabyte or sapphire for the 6850 considering the temperature problem? :D 
Score
a c 260 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 6:41:10 PM

TheToMB said:
so you think this isn't a big problem
now the only question is gigabyte or sapphire for the 6850 considering the temperature problem? :D 

Look at the cooler design for the cards.
I prefer those that send the heat directly out the back of the case.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 6:41:51 PM

sapphire!!!!! gooood...
Score
January 7, 2012 6:44:33 PM

yes i see that sapphire is slightly more expensive so i thought it's better
but about the cooler design i don't know how to find it
sorry i don't have much experience :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 6:52:15 PM

for cooling purpose gigabyte is better due to its dual big fans while sapphire is better in performance wise with single fan.
Score
January 7, 2012 6:53:58 PM

many thanks for both of you
you have helped me so much and i really appreciate your efforts with me
thanks again :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 6:56:39 PM

you're most welcome friend!
Score
January 14, 2012 5:29:23 PM

Best answer selected by TheToMB.