Should I replace my Sapphire HD5830

devik

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I'm starting to game a lot more on my PC, I play Rift which cant get to ultra settings using this card alone and am wondering if I should sell it on Amazon, get $100 or so and use that towards a new card, keep what I have and add a second 5830, or wait until new cards come out and keep what I have?

Also, I am looking into playing a couple fps games which is why I'm asking.

Thank you!

devik

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

$250 is out of my budget right now. I'm glad you pointed the shuttering bit out, other forums have neglected to inform me of that for some reason. I was looking at the 6850 simply because of this although I'm not sure it does better than my current card simply because my current card can OC like crazy.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

This is difficult. One of my rigs has a XFX HD530 XXX in it. The card performs on par with a stock 5850. Realistically a worthwhile upgrade would start at a 560 TI or a 6950.
Personally waiting to see what comes out midrange with both AMD and Nvidia would be what i would do if it was me

Mactronix :)

devik

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

I just got a macbook pro and a new ssd for my pc (im broke) so $150 is at my max and would only be willing to pay $250 (assuming I sold my current card for $100 or more) if the card is nearly double in performance. I hope that makes sense..

devik

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

The whole issue with that is if I wait, chances of the 5830's plummeting in resale price will be a lot more likely simply because that's about the time when people start replacing their cards..

It seems to me that your main issue is that you cant play rift on "Ultra" settings. Also you don't have the funds to make a worthwhile upgrade.
Your options are as I see it.
Pick up a cheap second hand 58XX card. Don't know if you are aware that any 58XX card will crossfire with any other 58XX card?
That might make it easier or open up cheaper options to you rather than sticking to searching for just the 5830 cards.

The other option is to learn to live with the settings turned down a little.

Mactronix :)

devik

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah I've seen the full compatibility chart from AMD.. I'm actually selling it and likely going with a $250 - $400 card. I found some extra funds! Thanks anyhow for the suggestion.