Sign in with
Your question

Vista won't recognize Belkin wireless adapter driver

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 12, 2011 10:10:21 PM

Hello!

I am attempting to set up a wireless connection on an HP desktop that runs Vista. I recently purchased a Belkin N150 Wireless USB Adapter (Version F9L1001). My computer, first, will not run the software CD automatically; I have to find it and double-click on it. Then, after the drivers are supposedly installed and I restart according to the instructions, my computer is unable to find them when I plug in the adapter. Additionally, when I try to start the driver program myself, it refuses to go. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver software four times and I have gotten the following same results every time. Has anyone else had the same issue, and does anyone have any advice? Also, I do not have a router installed yet, as we were told initially that all we would need to use to connect the desktop to our wireless Internet was the adapter. We did purchase a Belkin router, though. Do I need to install this first before my computer will accept the adapter? Any help is greatly appreciated!
June 12, 2011 10:55:45 PM

can you see the adapter in the Device Manager?

No, you do not have to install the wireless router first.
m
l
June 13, 2011 5:44:20 PM

Yes, I can. It is listed as "802.11 n WLAN."

Okay, that's good to know!

I forgot to mention this in my first message, but our wireless is being provided by a Verizon Wireless MiFi console, if that helps you at all.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2011 5:09:38 PM

118299,1,911219 said:
Hello!

I am attempting to set up a wireless connection on an HP desktop that runs Vista. I recently purchased a Belkin N150 Wireless USB Adapter

I will share a recent experience that may help. I also attempted a connect between Belkin N150 and Verizon MiFi hotspot with some difficulty. Finally worked out the bugs. Mine is an XP Pro SP3 OS.

After insuring that all my "Services and Startup" that affected WiFi were turned on/checked (I had turned off all unneeded services in the past), I finally got a WiFi connect and acquired network address. Hit Ctrl/Alt and Delete keys at the same time to view.

However, I could not access the internet nor send/receive email. When attempting, the IE browser demanded my old dial-up internet connection and would not provide a wireless option.

Turned out that Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, required that I first go into the control panel and delete my dialup configuration before its software would recognize the Verizon/Belkin connect.

Works beautifully now thanks to Belkin support.
m
l
November 22, 2012 5:42:00 PM

evila said:
Yes, I can. It is listed as "802.11 n WLAN."

Okay, that's good to know!

I forgot to mention this in my first message, but our wireless is being provided by a Verizon Wireless MiFi console, if that helps you at all.

I have the exactly the same problem, the install program asks for the WLAN to be inserted and then can't find the drivers that have just been installed. I suspect VISTA as it's a lousy program. Donly have anywhere near the number of problems with Windows 7. Would like a fix for this problem though.
m
l
!