Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which graphic card to buy with in $300?(strictly ATI)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 7, 2012 7:30:21 PM

hi guys, dis site has been really helpfull to me in many ways without asking a question. But dis time have to coz am really confused.
Am planning to get a graphic card with the range of $300. Need your suggestion to get the best within dat range.

1) ATI radeon hd 6970.
2) ATI radeon hd 6950.
3) ATI radeon hd 6870.

If u guys have better suggestion den dis three cards feel free to post.(strictly ATI)

system rig: > asus m4a88t-m-le
> chipset 880g
> AMD athlon x2 250
> 6gb ram
> windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.

plz guys would really appreciate your help.
thanks
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 7:51:02 PM

With the release of the 7000 series so close and you have that kind of money to spend I suggest waiting a month longer and get one of the new cards.But any of these cards mentioned will get bottlenecked by your processor so you might want to think of upgrading it.

What is the make/model of your PSU?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 7:58:02 PM

Why strictly AMD cards?
m
0
l
January 7, 2012 8:01:43 PM

You have a dual core CPU? Don't bother with that $300 video card upgrade unless you got a quad core CPU upgrade to closely follow. If you care about games, don't buy AMD CPU's.
m
0
l
January 7, 2012 8:12:24 PM

Why strictly Nvidia cards?
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 8:32:32 PM

get yourself a 6870 and a cpu upgrade like a phenom x4
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 8:33:12 PM

that will be a waste of money to buy a good gpu with that cpu.

Speak with proper english and no slang please.
m
0
l
a c 227 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 8:40:40 PM

While under $200, AMD owns, at 1920 x 1200, I can't make a case for any AMD card above $200.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 11:11:26 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
While under $200, AMD owns, at 1920 x 1200, I can't make a case for any AMD card above $200.
amd gpus win or ties at every price point.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 11:14:25 PM

560 Ti/6950? The Ti's been cheaper recently.
6970/570? 570 wins. Not always, but it comes out on top more often than not, unlike the Ti/6950 situation.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 11:17:57 PM

kajabla said:
560 Ti/6950? The Ti's been cheaper recently.
6970/570? 570 wins.
the 6950 is more power than the 560 ti, so being $10 cheaper means nothing

the 6970 is slightly powerful than the 570 and being slightly more expensive.

AMD card also use less power.

I'd say its a pretty good close.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 12:55:53 AM

It's definitely close. We could argue about trading benchmarks all day. I also disagree with Jack; AMD holds its own above $200.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 9:58:36 AM

That CPU is still going to bottleneck any card over $200.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 1:42:33 PM

...yes. Let's face it. You could get the GPU now and do an upgrade later, but until then it'll be wasted.
m
0
l
January 9, 2012 4:13:06 PM

thank you guy, tnx for letting me know bout dat. Am glad dat i took ya all suggestions b4 the upgrade, coz u really saved ma cash and time.

So i will have to rethink before upgrading, rethink bout ma processor and then graphics. No doubt will have to wait for awhile. But if go for a 4 core processor will i have make any more changes?

like motherboard or psu (currently using 450w)?

and which 4 core cpu should i go for: athlon /phenom/ fx?

"WHY ATI" coz i feel it is the best when using AMD cpu ( so far i think so) and plz correct me if am wrong.

and tnx again guys...:) )
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 8:33:01 PM

i-blaze said:
thank you guy, tnx for letting me know bout dat. Am glad dat i took ya all suggestions b4 the upgrade, coz u really saved ma cash and time.

So i will have to rethink before upgrading, rethink bout ma processor and then graphics. No doubt will have to wait for awhile. But if go for a 4 core processor will i have make any more changes?

like motherboard or psu (currently using 450w)?

and which 4 core cpu should i go for: athlon /phenom/ fx?

"WHY ATI" coz i feel it is the best when using AMD cpu ( so far i think so) and plz correct me if am wrong.

and tnx again guys...:) )


amd cpus right now are not good at all. Intel cpus put them to shame. its not even a fair fight. AMD brought a knife and Intel brought a Gatling gun to the fight and ill give you a clue to who wins.... it isnt AMD.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 9:10:59 PM

There's no issue of CPU-GPU compatibility. Nvidia and AMD/ATI GPUs are battling pretty evenly at the moment, and you should just pick whatever's the best value within your budget.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 9:11:53 PM

For a budget builder the Phenom ii's still offer very good performance.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 9:21:24 PM

...but not quite as good as a 2100.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 11:25:18 PM

Actually the Phenom ii x4 955 hold it's own against the 2100 and in quad core optimized games it pulls ahead.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 11:42:23 PM

They're close, yes, but I think it takes second in not-very-well-multithreaded games. What are you thinking of, BF3 multiplayer?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 11:56:49 PM

purple stank said:
Actually the Phenom ii x4 955 hold it's own against the 2100 and in quad core optimized games it pulls ahead.

you have no upgrade path with a phenom though
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 11:57:56 PM

That too.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 12:09:14 AM

I thought the 8xx series mobo's can do AM3+ with a BIOS update.

I was just responding to cbrunnem comment.AMD does still have a foot hold in the market and at the same price or even cheaper the Phenom ii x4 955 can still compete with the 2100.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 12:11:42 AM

yeah but its really sad that AMD top card barely beats an intel dual core with hyperthreading
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 12:32:02 AM

The latest AMD chips come close to the 2500K, actually. The 8150's quite powerful. It's just also hot, power-hungry and overpriced.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:29:42 AM

kajabla said:
The latest AMD chips come close to the 2500K, actually. The 8150's quite powerful. It's just also hot, power-hungry and overpriced.


anyone who chooses the 8150 over the 2500k based on performance is just plain wrong.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:34:30 AM

"Come close." It's not as good. Just contradicting "the top AMD barely beats an Intel dual core."
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:36:32 AM

kajabla said:
"Come close." It's not as good. Just contradicting "the top AMD barely beats an Intel dual core."


i was referring to games like BF3 were 4 cores is necessary
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:46:07 AM

jurassic1024 said:
You have a dual core CPU? Don't bother with that $300 video card upgrade unless you got a quad core CPU upgrade to closely follow. If you care about games, don't buy AMD CPU's.

Don't buy amd cpus if you care about gaming? I game with a 980be and a gtx 570 and i Care about games . Its why i wouldnt recommend a fx processor, but the phenom II line with c3 stepping are quite capable 955 and above.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 2:56:56 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
Don't buy amd cpus if you care about gaming? I game with a 980be and a gtx 570 and i Care about games . Its why i wouldnt recommend a fx processor, but the phenom II line with c3 stepping are quite capable 955 and above.

but they arent the best
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2012 3:05:19 AM

cbrunnem said:
but they arent the best

I didnt claim they were but i wouldnt dismiss the line entirely just because it isn't as fast as Intel. Everyone knows Intel is faster but the p II line isn't inadmissible for gaming.
m
0
l
August 4, 2012 12:20:31 AM

internetswag said:
Why strictly Nvidia cards?

Didnt he say Ati
m
0
l
!