WILL A EVA GEFORCE GTX 550 VIDEO CARD WORK IN A ACER ASPIRE 1700 ATHON II X2 2.4

I AM TRYING TO MAKE MY ACER ASPIRE 1700 WITH AN ATHON II X2 2.40 GHZ INTO A GAME MACHINE. CAN A EVA GEFORCE GTX 550 VIDEO CARD WORK IN THIS MACHINE?
9 answers Last reply
More about will geforce video card work acer aspire 1700 athon
  1. Please don't SHOUT when posting. And I'm guessing no, you'd probably melt it! :lol:
  2. An Acer Aspire 1700 is a laptop. You can not upgrade laptop graphics except in high end specially built gaming versions. You do not have one of those.

Edit: You actually have an Acer Aspire X1700 ( You have to be specific ). It is a small form factor PC. What power supply do you have? You will probably be limited by the power supply.
  3. http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/Aspire1700/Aspire1700sp2.shtml

This is a link of the Acer 1700 specifications. the 6th field down is the viedeo subsystem which lists the supported GPUs for your model. The 550m is not on this list. Also, without the "m" in GTX 550, this coudl be confused with a desktop model card. I see you listed an "EVA Geforce GTX 550", by which i assume you mean An EVGA Geforce GTX 550, which is a desktop card and will not work in ANY laptop.
  4. kelthic said:
    http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/Aspire1700/Aspire1700sp2.shtml

This is a link of the Acer 1700 specifications. the 6th field down is the viedeo subsystem which lists the supported GPUs for your model. The 550m is not on this list. Also, without the "m" in GTX 550, this coudl be confused with a desktop model card. I see you listed an "EVA Geforce GTX 550", by which i assume you mean An EVGA Geforce GTX 550, which is a desktop card and will not work in ANY laptop.

That laptop has a Pentium 4 in it. Made no sense he would have a newer Athlon II in his model. Read my edit above.
  5. http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireX1700/AspireX1700sp2.shtml

with the edit provided by anort, this is the link to the system specs of your system. It looks like you have a 220w power supply, which will likely limit what you can put in your system. also, you will need a low profile card, so i will work on getting some options together for you.
  6. If you want to pull this off, the first thing I would do is get a new case

HAF 912

and a new power supply

XFX Pro 550w Core

then you should be able to put in the GTX 550 and get it working.

However, I just want to point out that a 550 isn a super high end card in general AND the Athlon x2 isn't the best processor.

If you go through with all this, you may want to... avoid expecting miracles in terms of gaming performance. It should be much better than now, but I wouldn't expect to play new games on ultra settings or anything like that.

As long as you are realistic in your expectations, the above should help you realize them.
  7. i am sorry about the wrong information. i have an acer aspire 1700 with an Intel Pentium (R) Dual Cpu E2220 2.40ghz. Do I still need another case and power supply. Also same Graphic Card Suggestion?
  8. If you indeed have only a 220w PSU, which someone indicated might be the case, then you probably can't put in the GTX 550 card and hope it will work right. That just isn't very much juice.

I think you should get an XFX 450w if you are going to think about adding a video card to the system.

The case is up to you, but you would be surprised how much difference a good case makes in overall system performance.

If you absolutely must remain with the old case for budgetary reasons, so be it.

If I were you, I wouldn't get the GTX 550, though. A HD 7750 should do much better in every respect for the same price.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Aspire Acer Graphics Cards Geforce Gtx Systems Product