Is it the right time to upgrade my system?

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I've been reading the threads regarding computer upgrading in the $500 price range. Right now I already have the monitor, case, speakers, keyboard, and mouse. I'm looking to upgrade my system (specs in my signature), it's about 5.5 years old. Primarily I want to use it for web browsing/video streaming and moderate gaming. I'm not looking for build suggestions as I have found suggestions for the price point I'm looking at but I want to know if it is the right to upgrade.

A few people I talked to said that I should wait till the new Ivy Bridge processors come out because they will be a huge increase in capability. I want to get people’s opinions about whether or not that is true and maybe if it is better to wait?

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

+1, its refreshing to see this attitude.

Comparing the new version of the 2500k, you get .1 ghz faster processor and wireless connectivity to your HDTV. Not sure what the other requirements will be for that to work.

The video cards will fill a few gaps, and prices will reflect that. As usual, you get what you pay for. Plenty of cards out right now that will play any game on high settings.

There are plenty of mobos that are ready for new GPUs and CPUs. Look for PCIE 3 and Ivy Bridge ready mobos. That way if you do want to upgrade later, your most important component will be ready for them.

Not to mention that if you are an early adopter, you get to go through all the bugs getting worked out the first 6 to 12 months.