Just switched from Nvidia gt 240, to Radeon 6750, games will not run.

caydnn

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I just switched from my gt 240 to a Radeon 6750, I before doing this, uninstalled all the nvidia drivers, then put the card in, then installed the latest 6750 drivers, I then rebooted, and tried to test it out on a game I had ran before without issue, The game would not finish loading and get to any graphical part it would hang and never finish. I tried several other games and the same thing would happen, they would start to load but never finish.

I am not sure what to do to try and get things working. I really need some help.

The thread that lead to the selection of this card, which also has my specs is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338496-33-6770-450w-card-430w-thermaltake

I see from the other thread that you have a Thermaltake TR2. Is that one of the older ones, with a little voltage switch on it? While it should be able to power your card, it probably cannot because it is overrated and/or capacitor aging has reduced its capacity. When you start up a game and your GPU goes into 3D mode, the power draw is too much and your system crashes.

Edit: Hmmm, I see you got some bad advice in that thread. GDDR5 DOES make a difference over DDR3; if you look at the chart at the end of the monthly Best Graphics Cards for the Money, you'll see it can make a whole tier of difference. Still, that would not explain crashing. Since the crashing is immediate, it probably is not merely heat; that usually causes throttling and slowdowns, and takes a little time for something to overheat. Insufficient power would cause immediate crashes.

caydnn

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 @ 1.86GHz

RAM: 2x 2G Patriot G series DDR2

MOBO: Intel Corporation DG965WH (LGA 775)

GPU (Current): VW22LHDTV10T (1680x1050@59Hz)
512MB GeForce GT 240 (nVidia)

HDD: 1T Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA)

DVD: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S ATA Device

SOUND: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

caydnn

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I'm not crashing or getting black screens. It just isn't loading the game up. Can that be caused by the same thing? Also, do you need to reinstall the games?

The PSU has a switch on it yes, the switch if flipped turns the computer off.

caydnn

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

This is the card I had before: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5467136&SRCCODE=WEBGOO0163C&gclid=CKrz58f9vq0CFUOQ7QodvlsEBw

The new card's power draw says it is 86wt

I believe this is the PSU I have: http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-W0070RUC-430W-Power-Supply/dp/B0009Q56N6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1325976174&sr=8-4

Between the power switch and the power cord is another little switch, for setting the input voltage (e.g. 115V or 230V). This indicates an obsolete, inefficient design, that is usually overrated (i.e. is not capable of outputting what its label claims it can).

If "not crashing or getting black screens," what do you mean? If the game doesn't load, what does it do? Do you need to use Task Manager to end-task on it? Is the entire PC locked up?
If it is not locking up, you may need to go back and wipe out any traces of any video drivers, reboot, then re-install your card.

Actually all it indicates is that the PSU can be used in multiple counties.....it should be set to the voltage that is distributed throughout the home / office's electrical wiring.....US of A = 115 / Europe mostly 230

A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC and does not need a switch to adjust for voltage. I've never known one that would qualify for 80+ on its efficiency numbers alone (given that 80plus.org requires PFC to get certified); many are in the 72% range.
This is why I'm utterly baffled as to why the new Antec VP units have this switch; I am fearful that Antec may have dropped a deuce.

caydnn

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I am exiting the games with the task manager, but everything else, including the web browser, is slowing down and the task manager says the CPU is at 100% usage.

caydnn

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Nothing specific was jumping out - it didn't seem to add up. Trying to reformat and upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit with new video card installed. What are the essential things you would recommend installing on a fresh install of Windows?

Install a decent A/V; if your ISP does not provide a free one, I'd probably get AVG. I use Firefox with AdBlock+ and NoScript, and Thunderbird for email. You may want OpenOffice if you will do things other than just play games.
Update Windows before installing the other programs, except the A/V.

caydnn

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Thanks!

This is Caydnn's wife - he said to let you know he'll check back in once that's done and go from there. Wish us luck!