Solved

~$1000 Gaming PC

Hi!

I think I've reached the limit on what my computer can do for me, so I'm looking to get a new computer. My main criteria is that it is not slow and can play moderate games at good graphics settings. If it can play Skyrim at Ultra, that's big plus, but for now I'm just looking for something that will let me play games for the next two years without significant slowdowns.

Thank you so much!
Andrei.

Approximate Purchase Date:
Within a month. Probably by the end of March.

Budget Range:
$800-1400. I need a monitor, but should not be factored into this budget.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Gaming, Watching movies, surfing the net, ripping DVDs.

Parts Not Required:
Keyboard, mouse, speakers, hard drives, optical drive, OS.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Amazon (for fast shipping and points) and Newegg (because Newegg has made me happy so often.)

Country:
USA.

Parts Preferences:
Would like a case without any LEDs (if possible). Ease of entry/ability to insert lots of hard drives (I snapped some SATA cables recently because there was no room for me to maneuver them.) Would like many SATA inputs on the Motherboard.

Overclocking:
I've never done it, but I would totally do it if someone gave me easy to use instructions. I know that's been done here before.

SLI or Crossfire:
Probably will only have 1 video card, so no, unless it's extremely much better for the price.

Monitor Resolution:
1920x1080 or 1920x1200

Additional Comments:
This site is the best thing that's happened to computer buying since I learned that you don't need to go to Dell to buy a stock unmodifiable computer. You are all awesome! I'd be lost without all of your advice.
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1000 gaming
  1. I would recommend the HAF 912. it has no LED whatsoever and is decently priced at $60 - a great value for its features. It includes some removal drive bays and even an SSD mounting bracket.
  2. That case looks like just what I need. Thanks!
    Any help with the rest?
  3. amouravski said:
    That case looks like just what I need. Thanks!
    Any help with the rest?



    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf%20912
    - COOLER MASTER HAF 912: $60

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016
    - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular: $65

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz: $220

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
    - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO: $35

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157279
    - ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0: $105

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544
    - Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600: $37

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150589
    - XFX Double D Black Edition FX-795A-TDBC Radeon HD 7950 3GB: $500

    TOTAL: $1,022
  4. you even have room for a nice SSD too:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167095
    - Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A310 2.5" 120GB: $180

    new total: $1,202
  5. Here is one more option for an SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SSD @ $175.
  6. Any overclocking advice with this build?
  7. I am not good with word advice, so I'll just say watch a few videos and tweak as necessary. Every OC is different.
  8. azeem40 said:
    Here is one more option for an SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SSD @ $175.


    Crucial M4 2.5" 128GB SATA III - Read: Up to 500 MB/s, Write: Up to 175 MB/s

    Intel 520 Series Cherryville 2.5" 120GB SATA III - Read: Up to 550 MB/s, Write: Up to 500 MB/s
  9. Write speeds don't really matter for SSDs. They mainly just read data when accessing it from the different platters quickly.
  10. true - much more Reads than Writes... but for $5 (and the fact Intel SSD's go through high quality testing), may as well go for the faster one...
  11. Note: I don't need an SSD at this time. Thanks for the help, though!
  12. Also, does anyone disagree with wasupmike's build? Is it a consensus then?
  13. Hi! Sorry to be a bother again, but the video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150589 seems to have gone out of stock. :[

    Can you suggest a replacement?
  14. here ya go:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102963
    - SAPPHIRE 11196-02-40G Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (OC Version): $470
  15. Best answer
    $1000... now there you go...

    cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    Intel Core i5-2500K - $220

    mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $130

    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB F3-1600C9D-8GAB - $45

    hsf: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181011
    CORSAIR CAFA70 - $30 after rebate

    psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182073
    Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-750 750W - $120

    case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012
    Corsair Obsidian Series 550D - $120 after rebate


    total: $665 after rebate excluding shipping


    now for the gpu part... if you can stretch further on your time and budget you can certainly wait for kepler... because most information pointed out that it is meant to compete with hd 7900 series at better performance per watt... but... the only sad thing is... it is rumoured to be priced at $550... which is the same as hd 7970... if nvidia eventually release it at cheaper price... then it's good... but... from your word... you don't seem to really need that high performance gpu.... so here are a few cards that cheaper while not too slower...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130759
    EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480 - $210 after promo code from evga... ends 3/15

    okay... i know some ppl may think i'm crazy... but the only reason i recommend this card is its price... considering it is priced at $250... and with a promo code from evga... it will costs you only $210 to buy this card... it has much better price to performance ratio compared to gtx 500 series and hd 7900 series... but considering that its high thermal output and power... many won't look at it... including myself... but since you are using one graphics card only... and looking at people who already owned this card... i can say you'd be fine... as long as your psu is great... remember... this card is for only when you don't want to spend too much on a graphics card... but still want great performance... this card to me currently the best bang for buck... only the least efficient one... considering hd 7950 sells for $450... while hd 7970 costs $550... and considering evga reputation in its warranty service... i can say good to get...

    ok... for an extra $48... you can get this one...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593

    which gives you more or less the same performance as gtx 480... but with better thermal output and power...

    okay... for just short of $80 to get a hd 7950... you can get this one...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162073

    isn't much slower than hd 7950...

    you can look at the review here...

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7950/12.html

    it covers all the performance for hd 7950... hd 7970... gtx 580... gtx 570... gtx 480...
  16. phenom90 said:
    now for the gpu part... if you can stretch further on your time and budget you can certainly wait for kepler... because most information pointed out that it is meant to compete with hd 7900 series at better performance per watt... but... the only sad thing is... it is rumoured to be priced at $550... which is the same as hd 7970... if nvidia eventually release it at cheaper price... then it's good... but... from your word... you don't seem to really need that high performance gpu.... so here are a few cards that cheaper while not too slower...


    I can definitely stretch a little. Which card is the Kepler? How much better is it than the HD 7950?
    When is it expected to come out?

    If I wait a month or so will all the other parts go out of stock, too? ;]
  17. That 7950 is not a good idea. Your going to need a better case to heat that gpu. So I would stay away and get that 480 somebody suggested earlier.
  18. amouravski said:
    I can definitely stretch a little. Which card is the Kepler? How much better is it than the HD 7950?
    When is it expected to come out?

    If I wait a month or so will all the other parts go out of stock, too? ;]


    for now all the info points out that the kepler that rumoured to launch on 23rd march is gtx 680... and it is expected to perform on par with hd 7970... questions related to stock availability always comes down to four words... "first come first get"....
  19. badjad05 said:
    That 7950 is not a good idea. Your going to need a better case to heat that gpu. So I would stay away and get that 480 somebody suggested earlier.


    Now I'm confused. Didn't the post say that the 480 was high thermal output, which I assume is bad. Is the 7950 even more? Is there something in between that's good performance? I don't mind paying $500 for a video card if it's going to last me a couple of years without issues.

    Also, in your personal opinions, would you suggest I wait until better cards come out (and maybe drive the price of others down) and buy the new good thing or just go for whatever's good now?
  20. it really depends on whether you really need one right away... if you can wait then it's good... since you're willing to pay $500 for a card why not just wait a little longer... whether kepler will turn out to be a good thing or not... we all hope it will bring prices down... i would suggest wait...
  21. The HAF 912 has plenty of circulation to keep your cards from heating up badly. Don't get a weaker card just because of one opinion against the 7950. The 7870 should be out soon, so you could get that. It is $350 and will be better than the 570 and the Radeon 6970. Or, for $50 more than the 7950, you could CF 7850s. It only requires a 650W PSU, only 50W more than one 7970 (as a comparison) but more performance power and you'll get high fps. Stutter is the least of your concerns. Not everyone notices it.
  22. phenom90 said:
    it really depends on whether you really need one right away... if you can wait then it's good... since you're willing to pay $500 for a card why not just wait a little longer... whether kepler will turn out to be a good thing or not... we all hope it will bring prices down... i would suggest wait...


    Okay. Sounds like waiting is a good idea. Should I order all of the other parts now and then just wait for potentially a better card? Or should I put off buying ALL parts until a better card.

    If it's the second, I feel bad about bugging people all the time to help me, though all of your help is wonderful!

    Quote:
    Stutter is the least of your concerns. Not everyone notices it.


    What causes stutter? Not enough power? Too much heat? Stutter is generally something that drives me up the wall.
  23. Stutter happens when one GPU doesn't start rendering frames as soon as the second GPU finishes.
  24. amouravski said:
    Okay. Sounds like waiting is a good idea. Should I order all of the other parts now and then just wait for potentially a better card? Or should I put off buying ALL parts until a better card.

    If it's the second, I feel bad about bugging people all the time to help me, though all of your help is wonderful!

    Quote:
    Stutter is the least of your concerns. Not everyone notices it.


    What causes stutter? Not enough power? Too much heat? Stutter is generally something that drives me up the wall.


    i think the second option would be better....
  25. Best answer selected by amouravski.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems Product