I PREFER MY CANON G3 TO MY 300D/DIGITAL REBEL!!!

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 6, 2005 6:14:41 AM

I own a 300D/Digital Rebel plus a Powershot G3.

I am coming to the conclusion that the G3 is - for me - the more useful
of the two! When leaving on a trip anywhere - or wish to use the camera
at home - I almost automatically decide to pick up the G3. The compact
is much more user friendly, being far smaller and lighter than the SLR
yet producing results which I consider just as good - which is borne
out by the test reports on this website, showing that any pluses for
the Rebel are quite marginal:to think I used film SLRs (my first was a
Pentax S1a)for around 40 years -that dates me

Although a relatively minor point, I really like the convenience of the
soft leather ever-ready case which I bought for the G3 whereas the
plastic case on the 300D is very stiff and cumbersome.

I appreciate that many advanced users wish to have the option of using
a variety of lenses which can be used with an SLR - but there are
telephoto and wide angle supplementary lenses for the compact however,

I have come to the conclusion that there is little that I can't achieve
with the fixed lens attached to the G3(- this is borne out by reading
various camera reviews: I found the reviews on megapixel.net
particularly helpful where they conclude by awarding 'points out of
10'; the G3 received an overall 9.4 for 'Functionality' and 9.2 for
'Photographic Qualities' while the D300 was awarded 8.6 and 9.4
respectively:

I am on the point of selling my 300D on Ebay......

I would be very interested to hear comments on
these(heretical?)thoughts .

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:18:03 PM

I ended up preferring my G5 to my 300D, and while I do use the 300D I
prefer my EOS 50 film camera to them both!
June 6, 2005 1:40:40 PM

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I own a 300D/Digital Rebel plus a Powershot G3.
>
> I am coming to the conclusion that the G3 is - for me - the more useful
> of the two! When leaving on a trip anywhere - or wish to use the camera
> at home - I almost automatically decide to pick up the G3. The compact
> is much more user friendly, being far smaller and lighter than the SLR
> yet producing results which I consider just as good - which is borne
> out by the test reports on this website, showing that any pluses for
> the Rebel are quite marginal:to think I used film SLRs (my first was a
> Pentax S1a)for around 40 years -that dates me
>
> Although a relatively minor point, I really like the convenience of the
> soft leather ever-ready case which I bought for the G3 whereas the
> plastic case on the 300D is very stiff and cumbersome.
>
> I appreciate that many advanced users wish to have the option of using
> a variety of lenses which can be used with an SLR - but there are
> telephoto and wide angle supplementary lenses for the compact however,
>
> I have come to the conclusion that there is little that I can't achieve
> with the fixed lens attached to the G3(- this is borne out by reading
> various camera reviews: I found the reviews on megapixel.net
> particularly helpful where they conclude by awarding 'points out of
> 10'; the G3 received an overall 9.4 for 'Functionality' and 9.2 for
> 'Photographic Qualities' while the D300 was awarded 8.6 and 9.4
> respectively:
>
> I am on the point of selling my 300D on Ebay......
>
> I would be very interested to hear comments on
> these(heretical?)thoughts .
>
> Denis Boisclair
> Cheshire, UK.

What is heretical about saying that you prefer Camera "A" to Camera "B".

Who can argue with you. You know what you want and how you work, so your
decision is perfectly justified.

Others may take exactly the opposite view, and can be equally justified in
doing so. They have their own needs and ways of working.

There is not such thing as the "Perfect" Camera, apart of course from the
one I am using.

Roy G
Related resources
June 6, 2005 3:28:04 PM

If you are happy with just the G3 then stick with it.

I have a 10D and a G1, they both serve different requirements and are both
good at different things.
I also have a Pro 70, completely outdated but useful at times, I like the
fact I can connect the remote controller for timelapse etc.
In the film world I have a EOS 3 and a small olympus (foget the model) both
give good pictures are both useful.

I'd keep both the G3 and the 300D, but if you will never use the 300D, or
need the cash, then get rid of it.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:12:27 PM

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.vk writes:
> I wovld be very interested to hear comments on
> these (heretical?) thovghts .

What heresy?

There is nothing wrong with prefering one style of shooting
over another.

Btw - I am in the same boat as yov, I also own a qvality compact
(a Canon G5) and a DSLR (a Kodak DCS460). Bvt I vse them both
on a regvlar basis - bvt for different things.

I bring the G5 to parties, revnions, ovtings and events - and I
vse the Kodak DSLR for stvdio work and more "seriovs" photography
where fiddling with a big DSLR don't interfere with the ambience.

I love them both. They are different cameras that fit different
sitvations, and I like being able to pick the camera that svits
the sitvation.

Bvt if yov find that yov never pick vp the 300D any more, then yovr
style of photography is obviovsly svited for the G3. There is
nothing wrong with that. If it is jvst collecting dvst, yov're
better off with cash. Sell the 300D while it is still worth
something.

Oh! Yes, I love the Oly 2020Z too (for shooting infrared).
--
- gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.vio.no/gisle/ ]
Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympvs 2020Z

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> I own a 300D/Digital Rebel plus a Powershot G3.
>
> I am coming to the conclusion that the G3 is - for me - the more useful
> of the two! When leaving on a trip anywhere - or wish to use the camera

Well, I sometimes too feel that my Oly C5050 is more easy to carry
around than my 350D (Digital Rebel XT) -- obviously! My C5050 takes
really great pictures, and has more megapixels than I need (5MP),
it uses regular AA batteries that last more than 500 shots (with
LCD turned off), etc... plenty of other nice features.

However, I bought the 350D for the following reasons:

- camera is almost instantenously ready after power on
- no noticeable shutter lag
- very quick and accurate autofocus
- exposure is more accurate than that of C5050
- it can shoot 3 frames per second

These features are quite impressive and I have not been
disappointed by the 350D.

Of course it would be nice to have a camera that has these
features and which is as small as a G3 or C5050!
Given the pace at which the technology evolves for digital
cameras, I am pretty sure that we won't have to wait very
long to see this happen. Then, I might put my 350D for
sale too...

--
-------------------------------
Loris Renggli, Switzerland

You can get prints made at Walmart too instead of using that big, Canon 9900
printer.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 7:06:17 PM

> I am coming to the conclusion that the G3 is - for me - the more useful
> of the two! When leaving on a trip anywhere - or wish to use the camera
> at home - I almost automatically decide to pick up the G3. The compact
> is much more user friendly, being far smaller and lighter than the SLR
> yet producing results which I consider just as good

Hey, the one you like to take with you is going to be the more useful
camera. My girlfriend has a very good film SLR that she almost never uses -
"I don't want to break it." LOL! By contrast her little Nikon 3mp CoolPix
is ALWAYS with her and she shoots like crazy.

The shot you get is always better than the one you don't, so the camera you
are more likely to take with you is going to be the one you take the best
photos with. :)

> I am on the point of selling my 300D on Ebay......

I might just save you the listing fee. What do you want for it?

> I would be very interested to hear comments on
> these(heretical?)thoughts .

Heretical? Not at all. Perfectly legit.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
June 6, 2005 8:31:13 PM

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I own a 300D/Digital Rebel plus a Powershot G3.
>
> I am coming to the conclusion that the G3 is - for me - the more useful
> of the two!
Then why the long justification? I don't really care which camera you like
best.
Jim
June 7, 2005 1:10:03 AM

In article <1118049281.925016.97030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I own a 300D/Digital Rebel plus a Powershot G3.

I assumed going in that I would want a small camera to complement my EOS
20D, and bought a Powershot A85, more-or-less as an accessory. I'm
really glad I did. Too many reasons to list here. I love my SLR, and
wouldn't want to give it up, but I also don't want to be without my
Powershot.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:57:47 AM

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I own a 300D/Digital Rebel plus a Powershot G3.
>
> I am coming to the conclusion that the G3 is - for me - the more useful
> of the two! When leaving on a trip anywhere - or wish to use the camera

The best camera of those that I own is invariably the one I don't have with
me.
H.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:23:08 AM

> However, I bought the 350D for the following reasons:
>
> - camera is almost instantenously ready after power on
> - no noticeable shutter lag
> - very quick and accurate autofocus
> - exposure is more accurate than that of C5050
> - it can shoot 3 frames per second
>
> These features are quite impressive and I have not been
> disappointed by the 350D.

Don't forget - your 350D can also use the L series lenses.

John
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:34:04 PM

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

> <denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I own a 300D/Digital Rebel plus a Powershot G3.
>>
>> I am coming to the conclusion that the G3 is - for me - the more useful
>> of the two!
> Then why the long justification? I don't really care which camera you
> like
> best.
> Jim

But of course you had to tell him that you don't care!!
!