Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Charger Isn't Working!!

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2012 10:41:38 PM

! My Laptop Charger isn't charging, I got 5% battery life, what do I do?...Nothing seems wrong. The big bulky part, it's LED light is on. I'm not sure why it's not working...! Please help ;( I tried taking out the battery and cleaning it, I did do that, no results!

More about : laptop charger working

a b D Laptop
March 12, 2012 12:14:20 AM

1. it's common to snap the power connector off at the MB on a laptop. When you have the power plugged in, does it move more than it used to? (this would be bad, it's a $100 repair)

2. It's common for the wire from the brick part of the power supply to fail. Is there a spot (especially near the plug end that goes in the laptop) where the wire feels funny? Will wiggling the wire sometimes get the laptop to detect power ?

3. Rarely the internal firmware of the laptop messes up. Shutdown the laptop. Then remove the battery. Let the laptop sit for a few mins so the capacitors totally drain. Then put battery back in. Then plug back in. (You may have done this already "I tried taking out the battery and cleaning it")

4.It would be a fail to be plugged into a power strip with the switch turned or, or to have a wall switch off. But test the socket you are using with another device (lamp, etc.)

5. It's rare to have the power supply itself fail. You can test this with a cheap $20 multi-meter. Is there power coming out of the connector that goes in the PC?

Edit: this is rare: does your laptop have a dock it plugs into? If so bring the power in thru the dock, not the socket. Does it now work. I did this with a thinkpad x40 for years before the screen backlight failed.
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:27:02 AM

How old is the laptop?

All batteries lose their ability to hold a charge over time.

Something about all of a chemical moving through the battery from one side to the other and without that stuff in the middle then it can't charge correctly or something like that.

If the laptop is old, you may just have to buy a new battery for it.

I have heard of a device that can charge a battery backwards, to somehow cause that chemical to go back the other way which would make an old useless battery like new again, but I don't know if it would be cheap or if it would work with laptop batteries if it is cheap.
m
l
Related resources
!