Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to best partition Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
January 21, 2013 4:02:44 PM

Hi,

I'm a newbie in Windows 8, linux, Partition....

I would like to use my new laptop with windows 8 pre-installed to the following:

- Create a Dual Boot Windows 8 / Ubuntu
- Create on my C drive (unique drive on my laptop):
*a partition for the system
*one for Windows 8
*one for Data and
*last one for Ubuntu OS

My aim is :

-to install VmWare on Windows 8 and run Checkpoint Splat with virtual machines to perform CCSA labs.

- to install GNS3 on Ubuntu for CCNP labs but with GNS3 accessing files in the Data partition


I have a Toshiba Satellite with 750Gb and 8 Go RAM.


According to you what's the best size for my partitions?
Is there a better way to partition my C drive regarding my aim?

Best Regards


***I don't know if it's the right section, sorry for that. Feel free to move this thread in the appropriate section***

More about : partition windows

a b * Windows 8
January 21, 2013 5:31:00 PM

To start I would defrag the drive and following partition it; preferently in 4 equal size partitions of rounded out numbers but since it's a 750GB, I would create them in 200, 200, 200, 150GB and use a partition application like Minitool Partition Wizard, which is very safe in protecting data.. I've used it many times and never missed a file.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 6:09:14 PM

1. Install Windows 8.

2. Create partitions from disk management

3. Install Ubuntu. It gives options of dual-booting.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 21, 2013 7:30:46 PM

Chicano said:
To start I would defrag the drive and following partition it; preferently in 4 equal size partitions of rounded out numbers but since it's a 750GB, I would create them in 200, 200, 200, 150GB and use a partition application like Minitool Partition Wizard, which is very safe in protecting data.. I've used it many times and never missed a file.


First of all, thank you for your reply.

But i have one question in my mind: Isn't it too much (200Gb) for Recovery,Windows and Unbuntu?

Regards
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 21, 2013 8:38:02 PM

karfera said:
First of all, thank you for your reply.

But i have one question in my mind: Isn't it too much (200Gb) for Recovery,Windows and Unbuntu?

Regards


That was just a suggestion... I didn't think of the recovery partition, but you can create the number of partitions you need; You can create only 4 Primary partitions or 3 Primary partitions and 1 Extended partition which can be divided into multiple partitions if you need to.

The recovery partition is usually hidden and I believe it's at the start of the Hard Drive in Windows 7 and possibly Windows 8... not sure of that so depends on where it's located that you may not have to affect it.

You can alo use the Ubuntu installation disk to partition the hard drive since Ubuntu may need more than one partition.

Disk partitioning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

This may come in handy.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/149821/my-laptop-already...
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 10:13:12 PM

The recovery disk doesn't need to be any larger than it's default size.

Windows & Ubuntu partitions I would make around 50GB each. Technically you only need ~20GB and ~10GB respectively but you want to leave space for programs, updates etc. Plus you have a decent amount of space so why risk it.

Then use the remaining 630GB or whatever as your data partition. Format in NTFS as both OS can understand this. You can re-locate your My Documents/Pictures/Music etc to another drive using this guide - http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/17/how-to-move-the-my-doc...

No need for any additional software. The Ubuntu installer comes with its own partitioning tools and for everything else you can use Disk Management within Windows.
m
0
l
January 22, 2013 3:24:01 PM

casper1973 said:
The recovery disk doesn't need to be any larger than it's default size.

Windows & Ubuntu partitions I would make around 50GB each. Technically you only need ~20GB and ~10GB respectively but you want to leave space for programs, updates etc. Plus you have a decent amount of space so why risk it.

Then use the remaining 630GB or whatever as your data partition. Format in NTFS as both OS can understand this. You can re-locate your My Documents/Pictures/Music etc to another drive using this guide - http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/17/how-to-move-the-my-doc...

No need for any additional software. The Ubuntu installer comes with its own partitioning tools and for everything else you can use Disk Management within Windows.



Hi,

Thank you very much. I'll make a screenshot of my hard drive actual partition for more information.

regards
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 1:19:30 PM

casper1973 said:
The recovery disk doesn't need to be any larger than it's default size.

Windows & Ubuntu partitions I would make around 50GB each. Technically you only need ~20GB and ~10GB respectively but you want to leave space for programs, updates etc. Plus you have a decent amount of space so why risk it.

Then use the remaining 630GB or whatever as your data partition. Format in NTFS as both OS can understand this. You can re-locate your My Documents/Pictures/Music etc to another drive using this guide - http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/17/how-to-move-the-my-doc...

No need for any additional software. The Ubuntu installer comes with its own partitioning tools and for everything else you can use Disk Management within Windows.



Hi,

Thank you very much. I'll make a screenshot of my hard drive actual partition for more information.

regards
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 6:46:21 PM

Hi,

I've taken screenshot of my partition. How can i put it in this thread?

Greets
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 7:04:57 PM

Thank you all,

Isn't it too much 200G for Windows as i will on ly install VMWARE Workstation 9 for lab purposes and possibly a few softwares.

VMWARE installed on Windows will require 2 GB + 1 GB per host (i will use approximatively 15 hosts).

Checkpoint products will be installed on VMWARE that is installed in Windows :
- disk space needed for 3 Checkpoint gateways: 3*37 GB
- disk space needed for 2 Checkpoint gateways management servers: 2*10 GB


On Linux I'll install GNS3 with 10 GB disk space required and a few softwares.

I've got a Toshiba stellite computer with Windows 8 pre-installed.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @2.5 Ghz
RAM: 8 Go

64 bits OS, processor x64

See below the screenshot



I've taken screenshot of my partition (below).



* Don't take into account the disk 1 (E) partition

Can u confirm that in Disk o, partitions with 450 Mo, 260 Mo and 9.48 Go are for recovery system?

I am planning to let the recovery partition as it is and divide the TI30985500A (C) partition (688 Gb) into:

- 200 Gb windows partition
-100 Gb Linux partition
-388 Gb data partition


What do you think about this partionning regarding the informations i've provided above?

Greets
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 24, 2013 7:17:23 PM

I dont think 200GB is to much for Windows... I personally like to make the Windows partition up to 100GB because I usually have to make more space for storage and don’t like messing with the OS partition, but no more than ¼ of the hard drive is still good for my way of thinking though others may think different.

Uplopad your shots here: http://tinypic.com/
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 8:23:05 PM

Chicano said:
I dont think 200GB is to much for Windows... I personally like to make the Windows partition up to 100GB because I usually have to make more space for storage and don’t like messing with the OS partition, but no more than ¼ of the hard drive is still good for my way of thinking though others may think different.

Uplopad your shots here: http://tinypic.com/



Here are screenshots links:



m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 24, 2013 9:30:39 PM

Gulp!… I can’t read french!.. so let me see if get it right:
- On Disque 0, Partition 1 is a 450 Mo (450MB) Recovery Partition?,..
- second partition is 260MB? And a System Partition? Is that the Ubuntu partition?..
- the Third partition is the Windows 8 partition? What’s the size 688,34 Go?…
- and the fourth partition is also a Recovery partition?…
- and Disque 1 is what, a 16GB USB flash drive?


Edit: I see you plan to divide the C:\ Partition (Windows 8) into 200 Windows, 100 Linux and 388 for data.
The only question is the "Partition du Systeme EFI"... what is that for?. Also are you using the Windows Disk Management to partition the Hard Drive?... if so, I doubt it can do a better job than a third party partition Manager. Install the Minitool Partition Wizard and see the difference even if you don't useit just check the difference it can be used to resize partitions with the mouse so the Windows Disk Management can't even measure up. With the paid edition of Minitool Partition Wizard you can even merge partitions so you can merge the Windows partition with the second one, which if I understand french well enough it the Start/Active boot partition?
m
0
l
January 25, 2013 2:04:32 PM

Chicano said:
Gulp!… I can’t read french!.. so let me see if get it right:
- On Disque 0, Partition 1 is a 450 Mo (450MB) Recovery Partition?,..
- second partition is 260MB? And a System Partition? Is that the Ubuntu partition?..
- the Third partition is the Windows 8 partition? What’s the size 688,34 Go?…
- and the fourth partition is also a Recovery partition?…
- and Disque 1 is what, a 16GB USB flash drive?


Edit: I see you plan to divide the C:\ Partition (Windows 8) into 200 Windows, 100 Linux and 388 for data.
The only question is the "Partition du Systeme EFI"... what is that for?. Also are you using the Windows Disk Management to partition the Hard Drive?... if so, I doubt it can do a better job than a third party partition Manager. Install the Minitool Partition Wizard and see the difference even if you don't useit just check the difference it can be used to resize partitions with the mouse so the Windows Disk Management can't even measure up. With the paid edition of Minitool Partition Wizard you can even merge partitions so you can merge the Windows partition with the second one, which if I understand french well enough it the Start/Active boot partition?




Sorry for the french.

The only question is the "Partition du Systeme EFI"... what is that for?.

It means System EFI partition but i don't know what it's for.


I'll download and use minitool to see if the partitionning will be more understandable.

Greets
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 26, 2013 4:42:20 AM

OK, so both first and fourth partitions say "Recovery Partition" so I'm guessing the first partition is the original and the forth must be a copy?

The second partition, the EFI System partition. The Wikipedia article explains it but I still don't get what it's created for but since it seems to be a System partition and only 260MB in size, you've better leave it alone for now. Better wait for someone to clear it up or ask again in a new thread so you'll know what to with it.

As for the last partition 9.48GB in size, if you already have the first partition for recovery, I don't see the point in keeping it but it's your decision to keep it or merge it with the 688GB partition.

Bonne chance
m
0
l
January 26, 2013 9:09:20 AM

Well, as i don't know what is those partitions for, I'll partition the 688 GB partition into (after check with minitool):

-200 GB Windows
-100 GB Ubuntu
-388 GB Data

Thank you for the "bonne chance"
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 9:45:59 AM

Just another question: what to to with data that are already in C drive (not mine but that were pre-nstalled)?
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 27, 2013 4:41:02 PM

karfera said:
Just another question: what to to with data that are already in C drive (not mine but that were pre-nstalled)?


Pre-installed data? from the OS, or what kind of data?... is it dated the same as the system files, in what folder is it located?
m
0
l
January 28, 2013 6:49:19 PM

Chicano said:
Pre-installed data? from the OS, or what kind of data?... is it dated the same as the system files, in what folder is it located?



Below you can see:

- C drive actual content



-Laptop partition



All the C drive content must be in Windows 8 partition or some (if yes, what content) have to be stored on Data partition?

Greets
m
0
l
January 28, 2013 7:56:18 PM

Here is what I would do.
Make sure you have Windows 8 cd by yourself and an Ubuntu cd, also.
Insert Windows 8 cd and boot to install. Erase all partitions until it says Disk 0 (Disk 1) Unallocated = 688GB.
Now create a partition of 200GB for Windows (204800MB), make it 205000.
And from the rest create a Data partition.
Now if the installer makes 3 partitions, one should be called System Reserved (100mb), and after that, should come your 200gb partition. Delete the 200GB partition, and click on System Reserved > Expand and add 200gb to it.
You should have System Reserved - 200GB and Disk 1 (Disk 2) - 488GB.
Install on 200GB partition.
Now in W8, right click Computer (you'll need to add the shortcut to desktop, if you don't know how, PM me...) and then click Manage. Now go to Disk management on the left side. and right click the 488gb partition. ((Leave 350GB (or 400GB) for data, rest is enough for Ubuntu.))Click the shrink option and if you leave 138gb for Ubuntu, then in the shrink option you should set about 142300-142350MB. If you leave 88GB (Which is also more than enough), then set it between 90100-90150MB.

Now you should see 138GB(88GB) Unallocated space. Leave it like that. Insert Ubuntu cd and install. When prompted how to install Ubuntu, click on Something Else. Double click the 3rd partition, and choose 10% of it's size for swap area. Ex. for 138GB partition set first partiton to 16392MB. and then where it says ext 4 journaled, click there and choose swap. And then double click the remaining space form the 138gb partition and set it as primary, mount point should be only "/" .
Chose the EXT 4 JOURNALED as partition and Install Ubuntu. You should see grub bootloader and Should be able to choose W8 loader as 5th option in Grub, and Linux should be 1st.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 7:56:24 PM

Those are your Windows 8 installation folders.

Windows 8 Operating System:
[Program Files (x86), Programmes, Utilisateurs, Windows]

Intel [Intel Drivers]

Perflogs [Performance Logs, are system performance record]

Toshiba [probably Toshiba version of Windows 8, may also include Toshiba drivers]

Sources [contains the Installation DVD files... read a full description in the link]

http://superuser.com/questions/136027/does-the-windows-...
m
0
l
January 28, 2013 7:59:56 PM

For 88GB Partiton, Swap space should be equal to 12GB + 6MB and something like 12294MB.
m
0
l
January 28, 2013 10:12:14 PM

Thank you,

Chicano: so all i have to do is to let the actual C drive content on the future Windows partition?

Kajcha: sorry i don't have windows 8 cd (this is pre installed).
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 11:54:25 PM

karfera said:
Thank you,

Chicano: so all i have to do is to let the actual C drive content on the future Windows partition?

Kajcha: sorry i don't have windows 8 cd (this is pre installed).


I don't understand... the C:\ Drive is already the Windows Partition. If you're asking if the Windows partition should remain the same partition, the answer is yes... furthermore the Hard Drive already has the maximum number of primary partitions Windows can create on each hard drive. And if you want an available partition to install Ubuntu, I doubt you will like it and it will only mess up your boot loader... nothing that can't be solved but you'd probably need the Windows 8 installation DVD in case you need to recover the Win8 installation after removing Ubuntu. I have installed Ubuntu on different occasions from version 7.04 to 10.04 and always end up removing it because I've found it's not user friendly and I can't find information on how to do things... So I've ended getting tired of it. The only things I like about Ubuntu are the speed, and the Video reproduction, it's crisp, high deffinition and way better than Windows, but the rest I don't like at all.

What I would recomend is that first of all, you research the possibility of creating a Windows installation DVD from the Sources folder (it contains the Installation DVD files). The application VLite may help you doing it... and once you have a working Windows 8 installation DVD and the Product key recovered with Keyfinder, you will have the possibility of recovering Windows 8 from any situation, also before installing Ubuntu, I would research the possibility of moving the recovery partition contents to one of the partitions you have before the Windows 8 partition... only then when the partition is emptied you can confidently install Ubuntu on it, or you can increase it's size extending it to the Windows 8 partition with the Minitool partition Wizard.
m
0
l
!