Sign in with
Your question

Wired for internet and wireless for vpn at same time win7

Last response: in Networking
March 27, 2011 2:57:54 PM

Win 7 Home Premium. My vpn connection to work disconnects my wired internet connection. Is there a way around that? If not, can I force the vpn to connect wirelessly while staying wired to my home network and internet? Is it even possible to have both connections active at the same time? Vista laptop uses only wireless and has no problem staying conected while using vpn.
a b F Wireless
March 27, 2011 6:01:32 PM

Make sure your home network and the remote network are using different subnets. IOW, if you're using 192.168.1.x (very common) and the remote network is also using 192.168.1.x, you're going to have problems. That's one of the gotchas of using a VPN and why it's best to use an uncommon subnet for your own network (e.g. 192.168.66.x) if you're going to be using VPNs regularly.
March 27, 2011 6:16:48 PM

Thanks for the quick response. How do I change or assign a subnet?

eibgrad said:
Make sure your home network and the remote network are using different subnets. IOW, if you're using 192.168.1.x (very common) and the remote network is also using 192.168.1.x, you're going to have problems. That's one of the gotchas of using a VPN and why it's best to use an uncommon subnet for your own network (e.g. 192.168.66.x) if you're going to be using VPNs regularly.

Related resources
a b F Wireless
March 27, 2011 7:23:59 PM

Have you confirmed they are the same? No point changing anything unless you're sure.

Btw, what's the make & model of your router?

April 3, 2011 1:00:02 PM

Router: Linksys WRT 110. Not sure how to determine if subnets/ip addresses are the same.
April 27, 2011 2:44:33 AM

hold windows key and R key at the same time to bring up a run command, type cmd then ok.
In the command Prompt, type ipconfig, it should display both your network adapters and there information. subnet mask in what you are looking for.

usually it will be something like 255.255.255.0
!