FRee_ARouND

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
This question had been answered. However, since I'm a noob, I'm seeking suggestion about my final list. You can see it on my latest reply.
Regards,
FRee_ARouND

Hi,
This is my first time to build up a computer, so any advices are appreciated. It will mostly be used for Gaming. I will also uses Matlab occasionally.

I had chosen:

Graphic Card:
A271-7852 ::Sapphire 11200-01-20G Radeon HD 7850 Video Card - 2048MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI, 2x Mini DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity, Overclocked(1.9 lbs)

RAM:
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready, Unbuffered

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB Serial ATA Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

I'm not sure if
MB & CPU:GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H Intel 7 Series Motherboard and Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40 GHz Quad Core Unlocked Bundle

would be my best choice?

Also have not decided my Power Supply and case yet. If you know have any advices please tell me since I have little knowledge about compatibility. Build-up a computer myself is really suffering for there're so many things to consider :(

Any other things I should notice besides a Win 64-bits system?

Solution

Yup, Gigabyte 990FX-UD5 is the one I had too.

Sabertooth boards are indeed awesome if you got the cash for em. They also have a 5 year warranty which is a plus. Downside of picking AMD vs Intel for having a Sabertooth, the AMD Sabertooths are definitely a lot cheaper. And your final list looks pretty good to me, let us know how it goes!
Seems like a good setup so far. For the motherboard, I'd make a small change. Go for the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H. Notice the U in the model number. That's their Ultra Durable version of the same motherboard. It is really built well.

FRee_ARouND

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012

too bad I live in Canada :( prices are jokes here

I personally am not a big fan of Gigabyte for motherboards, but its probably going to fine, but I'd stick with Asus or Asrock.

As for the power supply, you definitely want to pick a good one, this is not a place to go cheap. Absolutely Corsair TX series are among the best.

FRee_ARouND

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012

Is there any reason why you do not prefer Gigabyte? I'm interested.
Btw do I need to buy additional fans or liquid cooler or something? I'm not really a overclocking fan...And do I need other stuffs to build a computer?

Strange people discuss PSu on this post instead my new post which seeking for case & PSu :) but since we're at this point... any advice for a case? Maybe a Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Blk?

Only because I had a motherboard die on me after 3 weeks of owning it. It cited a "Main Bios Error", just seemed like at the time when I googled it I found an awful lot of forum posts on various sites of people with the same problem. Now I know anything that is mass produced has a risk of being defective out of the box or shortly after owning it so that wasn't the sole deal breaker for me with Gigabyte.

The final nail in the coffin was when I called up their tech support, the guy was rude, patronizing, not very knowledgeable and ended up telling me to call TigerDirect and "let them deal with it". Well indeed I did, I had TigerDirect send me an Asus Sabertooth board instead. Couldn't be happier with it.

I honestly would not go watercooling if you're new to PC building, and even if you're an experienced builder its iffy. You should know the risks of watercooling. Specifically the off chance that a pipe bursts, or condensation. Watercoolers use distilled water as the "liquid", remember that water and electronics are not the best of friends. Although it is rare for any problems to occur, its not impossible, and honestly theres not a super huge advantage to a watercooler that a strong aftermarket air cooler cannot offer you.

A CoolerMaster 212 Evo cooler should be all you need to overclock your CPU to 4.5GHZ or so, maybe more.

As far as what you need to build the computer excluding peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc). The basic list is

CPU
Mobo
Video card
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Optical Drive (optional)
Case
Operating System

As long as you have all those you can build a fully functional machine.

As far as cases, they're a very personal thing. Some people want flashy LEDs, and others like a very "plain" look. Some go crazy and build their own whacky creations. My advice in general is to pick something you like, look at reviews and see about quality. It would be a good idea to invest in a very high quality case if you have the budget for it, as a good case can last you many builds. Cheap cases often use flimsy metal, cheap plastic and other tiny corner cutting details really can make or break the quality. Unfortunately this may not always be apparent from pictures online. I will say from personal experience to avoid Sentey brand cases for this reason.

Corsair cases are very well made, very nice cases, Corsair 500Rs are very good. I personally have an NZXT Phantom, also a very well made case.

randomkid

Distinguished

Too bad. But cheer up, its worse from where I came from. But what choice do we have?

It's not strange at all because people does not know you opened another thread for the PSU & after all, you did ask about PSU in this very thread. But no harm done, people will try to help wherever channel opens up to them.

FRee_ARouND

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012

Thanks all for your advices! Interesting. A Optical Drive is only optional? So how could I install my OS then ? And I don't need thermal compound?

You're welcome. It is optional as there are now options available from Microsoft and Linux Distros to install via a USB thumbdrive.

Most decent coolers will come with thermal compound. I know 212 evos from CoolerMaster do at least, and Intel stock heatsinks will have it pre-applied.

FRee_ARouND

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012

Get it :p

After googling Gygabtye's UD5H, I found it is really full of bugs and problems. I changed it to Asus SABERTOOTH,which costs me a lot. Stability and Longevity is my major concern rather than cost as long as it's reasonable because I don't want to pay any attention to hardwares after build-up.

FRee_ARouND

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Is there anyone could help me check my final list to see if there are conflicts or improvements?(Like RAM/Mobo/Graphic card/CPU compatibility)
one of my concern is my monitor seemly only has VGA and HDMI. Is that a problem?

This is my final list:

Monitor:
Philips 247E3LPHSU 24" Class Widescreen LED Backlit Monitor

Optical Dive:
HP HPDVD1260I Multiformat DVD Writer

PSU:
Corsair CMPSU-600G 600-Watt Gaming Series GS600 Power Supply

Case:
Corsair CC-9011011-WW Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower Gaming Case

Mobo:
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Intel Series 7 Motherboard

Fan for CPU:
Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-GP Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler

CPU:
Intel Core i5-3570K

Hard Dive:
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB Serial ATA Hard Drive

RAM:
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz

Video card:
2GB Sapphire 11200-01-20G Radeon HD 7850 Video Card

$1329 before shipping fee and tax. Hope these worth the money.

Yup, Gigabyte 990FX-UD5 is the one I had too.

Sabertooth boards are indeed awesome if you got the cash for em. They also have a 5 year warranty which is a plus. Downside of picking AMD vs Intel for having a Sabertooth, the AMD Sabertooths are definitely a lot cheaper. And your final list looks pretty good to me, let us know how it goes!

Solution