Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I7-3770k - Is this too hot, and case fan recs please?

Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2012 4:38:55 AM

Hi all,

I just put together a new PC with an i7-3770k with a Hyper 212 evo (stock fan on the cooler set to push toward the back exhaust), MSI Z77MA-G45 mobo, and a Corsair Carbide 400R case. I'm using 7 case fans: front two and side two as intake, top two and back single as exhaust. I used Arctic silver 5 on the CPU, but I'm afraid that I may not have used enough. I'm using these (admittedly cheap) case fans: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Initially, I just had two of those fans as intake and the rest of the fans were Antec Tri-Cools set at 2000 RPM, but I ended up replacing them for looks. It seems as though it was about 3-5 degrees cooler with the Antecs.

I'm running at around 40 idle on core 0, which seems a little too warm for idle, doesn't it? I know that Ivy Bridges run warm when overclocked, but mine is at stock speed and voltage. The highest it goes is 55 when playing a game. Previously, it seemed to have hung out at a lower temp under that type of load (around 45). Currently, real temp is telling me the following:

Load: 7.4%

Core 0: 40 (65 from TJ Max)
Core 1: 25
Core 2: 33
Core 3: 24

This is in a relatively cool room (kept around 70-72). Is it unreasonable to want to see it a little cooler at stock speed? If so, can someone please recommend 2000 RPM case fans that move a LOT of air? Blue LED would be nice, but at this point I'd rather have more air. I don't mind replacing all of the fans if it would help. Also, should I try a push/pull config on my CPU cooler--would that provide any appreciable improvement? Should I clean and reapply paste to the CPU?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2012 4:43:36 AM

The easiest way to get some better temps would be to add an additional fan to the cooler, if you haven't done that already. You could also look into changing out the fans, possibly to Noctuas (quiet, but expensive) or Cougar fans that should make a difference in performance and lower the noise of the HSF.

Don't worry about reapplying the thermal paste, those temps are fine for your current config. As far as case fans go, I've heard amazing things about the Scythe Gentle Typhoons. I haven't used them personally, but I've heard people raving about them enough to warrant a recommendation.
Score
June 26, 2012 5:32:38 AM

Thanks so much!

I just put a 2nd fan on the cooler, which doesn't seem to have brought it down. Just sitting here with Firefox and RealTemp open, and nothing else, core 0 has seen temps from 35 to 50c. Maybe it has something to do with the pull fan on the cooler being so close to the rear exhaust that it's restricting airflow? I could try to reposition the cooler so that it pushes away from the GPU and up to the top exhaust fans. Other than that, I'm stumped. :( 

Other configs that I've read about sit in the 20s at idle. I'd be happy if it stayed in the low 30s. Granted, Ivy Bridge runs hotter, but I thought that was only when overclocked?

The stock fan on the Hyper 212 Evo had some cushioned tape covering the screws. I think that the cooler came with more of that tape but unfortunately I think that I threw it out. I cut the existing stuff on the stock fan in half, then used half to cover the screws on the stock fan and half to cover the screws on the 2nd fan. I hope that's ok. I wasn't sure if you could buy more of it somewhere, or use something else.

Edited to add: is it normal to see brief temp jumps more than a few degrees? E.g., sitting idle with only RealTemp open, 35 to 49 then back down?
Score
Related resources
a c 188 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 7:34:34 AM

check to see if your mb has bios 1.2 loaded onto it if it 1.1 the first bios it does not have the cpu code for the new ib chips.
if it is 1.2 bios i would check to see if the mb is setting the cpu voltage right. if the voltage goes to high the core is going to get hot even on light load.
Score
June 26, 2012 8:24:58 AM

smorizio said:
check to see if your mb has bios 1.2 loaded onto it if it 1.1 the first bios it does not have the cpu code for the new ib chips.
if it is 1.2 bios i would check to see if the mb is setting the cpu voltage right. if the voltage goes to high the core is going to get hot even on light load.

Thanks a bunch! Bios version is saying 1.4. Voltage is set to auto. Any suggestions on that, or is that ok?

Also: is it a concern that one core is running 10-15 degrees hotter than the others? Core 0 is typically 10 to 15 degrees hotter than cores 2 & 4. Core 3 is 5 to 10 degrees hotter than cores 2 & 4. Wasn't sure if that was something I should address, or if it was typical.

I went ahead and redid the grease as well, just to eliminate possibilities. I'm pretty sure that the HS is making good, even contact on the CPU. It's screwed in as tight as it can go. I used the line method from Arctic Silver's site, and also made a very light haze on the cooler by applying a small amount, spreading it with a credit card, then wiping most of it off with a coffee filter. So hopefully neither HS seating nor paste are the issue.
Score
June 26, 2012 5:20:17 PM

Core 0 running at 40 all day so far with as little as 1.6% load. It was running around 33 when I first put it together. I'm wondering if I made it worse somehow.

Edit: checked our 2nd PC with exact same setup (same mobo, CPU, GPU, fan config, HS, etc, but different PSU & drives) & it runs 8-10 degrees cooler.
Score
a c 116 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 5:49:28 PM

Idle temperatures are largely meaningless. Having a single core warmer than the other is perfectly normal if the OS is scheduling everything on a single core to leave others in sleep-state.

If you want to really see whether or not the HSF is really installed correctly, you'll have to put a real workload on the CPU that gives every core something to do. If core temperatures remain under 70C then everything is fine.
Score
June 26, 2012 8:01:26 PM

InvalidError said:
Idle temperatures are largely meaningless. Having a single core warmer than the other is perfectly normal if the OS is scheduling everything on a single core to leave others in sleep-state.

If you want to really see whether or not the HSF is really installed correctly, you'll have to put a real workload on the CPU that gives every core something to do. If core temperatures remain under 70C then everything is fine.

Great, thanks! I ran OCCT for an hour and the highest any one core got to was 61. After that, I noticed that you could choose small data set as a test mode, which generates more heat. I ran that for 20 mins and the highest any one core got to was 64.

I'm not sure whether these numbers can be considered good/excellent, or just mediocre, but it does look like all is OK at least. :) 
Score
a c 116 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 8:57:44 PM

Ceara said:
I'm not sure whether these numbers can be considered good/excellent, or just mediocre, but it does look like all is OK at least. :) 

With the stock cooler which is all that Intel requires as far as the warranty is concerned, you would likely get around 80C.

So while 64C may not sound all that good in numerical terms even though it is well within IB's acceptable range, it is still a major improvement over stock cooler.
Score
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2012 11:18:11 PM

personally i would of chosen a better motherboard that is more suitable for overclocking in the first place like a gigabyte z77x-ud3h but you already have gotten it

60 degree seems fine to me. im getting 70s on a non overclocked desktop (775:) 
Score
June 26, 2012 11:55:12 PM

Thanks again, all :) 
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 2:36:01 AM

As annoying as high idle temps can be, the most important thing to look at are your load temps. Sure, 40C may be a bit high, but as long as your load temps are mid 70s (high end) or below, you are golden.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 10:15:41 AM

just keep the temps in the low 70s or 60s and you should be good to go
Score
July 11, 2012 5:01:07 AM

Best answer selected by Ceara.
Score
July 11, 2012 5:08:39 AM

Thanks again to everyone! Since we wanted to build another PC, thus my current parts would go to good use, I ended up ordering a Noctua NH-D14 and some Cougar fans (with Enermax Vegas Duos as intakes) which dropped my idle temps by just a couple degrees, but reduced my load temps from 64 to 57. While it isn't the hugest temperature drop on earth, and it was likely an unneccessary expense, it did make me feel a little better. ;) . It still idles warm, but your replies were reassuring, so I am content to let it be.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 9:36:28 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!