Buying a Camcorder in Hong Kong

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 6, 2005 8:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

I'm will be in Honk Kong for two days this week and I'm thinking of buying a
camcorder.

Is it worthwhile buying there, are prices much cheaper than Ireland/UK?

Would also appreciate tips on where to buy and where to avoid - a valid
warranty when I get home would be my biggest concern.
June 6, 2005 8:31:28 PM

Ex_OWM wrote:
> I'm will be in Honk Kong for two days this week and I'm thinking of buying a
> camcorder.
>
> Is it worthwhile buying there, are prices much cheaper than Ireland/UK?
>
> Would also appreciate tips on where to buy and where to avoid - a valid
> warranty when I get home would be my biggest concern.

I was in Hong Kong in late March. Compared to what I found there 20 years earlier, the
prices weren't much better than what I could get at home, in New York. But UK prices are
outrageously high, so Hong Kong prices should be much better for you. But ask about the
warrantee. You may not be able to get free repairs at home, if it is the international
warrantee.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 8:31:28 PM

"Ex_OWM" <allthespamyoulike@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm will be in Honk Kong for two days this week and I'm thinking of buying
> a camcorder.
>
> Is it worthwhile buying there, are prices much cheaper than Ireland/UK?

I don't know UK prices, but prices at reputable dealers in HK are on a par
with those from reputable US dealers, and higher than reputable US
mail-order.

There are huge numbers of scam artists selling cameras (and other
electronics) to tourists. Fortress is a reputable chain with a huge stock.
However, their prices aren't lower than I can buy gear for in the US.

As for what to watch out for, there are so many variations on scams that I
don't even know where to begin -- everything from swapping the box with the
camera for one with a brick to fake warranties.

As with any expensive purchase, knowing your seller is important.

> Would also appreciate tips on where to buy and where to avoid - a valid
> warranty when I get home would be my biggest concern.

June 6, 2005 8:31:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

The electronics stores on Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui are notorious
for ripoffs. Also be very careful if you buy electronics in Shenzen.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:54:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

"Ex_OWM" <allthespamyoulike@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm will be in Honk Kong for two days this week and I'm thinking of buying
> a camcorder.
>
> Is it worthwhile buying there, are prices much cheaper than Ireland/UK?
>
> Would also appreciate tips on where to buy and where to avoid - a valid
> warranty when I get home would be my biggest concern.

Thanks for the tips, guys ... sounds like for all I'm likely to save and the
problems I've read elsewhere regarding warranties, I probably would be
better to buy at home :(
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:54:30 AM

Ex_OWM wrote:
> "Ex_OWM" <allthespamyoulike@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm will be in Honk Kong for two days this week and I'm thinking of buying
> > a camcorder.
> >
> > Is it worthwhile buying there, are prices much cheaper than Ireland/UK?
> >
> > Would also appreciate tips on where to buy and where to avoid - a valid
> > warranty when I get home would be my biggest concern.
> >

> Thanks for the tips, guys ... sounds like for all I'm likely to save and the
> problems I've read elsewhere regarding warranties, I probably would be
> better to buy at home :(

If you stick to the major stores (Fortress, Broadway) you will get
world-wide warrantees. You'd also be less likely to get scammed. I
bought a camera from a small store on recommendation from my nephew.
It's an honest store and I have an international warrantee. But the
store is pretty difficult to locate.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 10:00:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.travel.asia (More info?)

Be very careful when buying stuff there. I grew up there.
Having said that, you can grab some pretty funky stuff if you shop around -
bearing in mind that HK is one of the first test markets for consumer
electronics in the region (outside Japan, and sorry for the sales pitch).

A bud just back from there and bought some pretty good stuff.

Just take carewhen shopping and make sure that the item involved have a
global warranty thing going.

Ka.

"Ex_OWM" <allthespamyoulike@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm will be in Honk Kong for two days this week and I'm thinking of buying
> camcorder.
>
> Is it worthwhile buying there, are prices much cheaper than Ireland/UK?
>
> Would also appreciate tips on where to buy and where to avoid - a valid
> warranty when I get home would be my biggest concern.

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 10:58:15 AM

PeterL wrote:
> Ex_OWM wrote:
> > I'm will be in Honk Kong for two days this week and I'm thinking
> > of buying a camcorder. Is it worthwhile buying there, are prices
> > much cheaper than Ireland/UK?
> If you stick to the major stores (Fortress, Broadway) you will get
> world-wide warrantees. You'd also be less likely to get scammed.
> I bought a camera from a small store on recommendation from
> my nephew. It's an honest store and I have an international warrantee.
> But the store is pretty difficult to locate.

And sharpen your skill at heckling, for you will need it, badly! :)

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].