My system specs are as follows
Dell GX620
Processor: Intel pentium D 3.4 ghz
Ram: 1GB
HDD: 160 gb
Motherboard: Intel 945
PSU: 305 watts (my original problem)
DVD combo drive

Now I need to upgrade my video card because my built in intel 945g sucks when it come to modern gaming, today I see used ati x1550 on sale in market, and I really want to buy it because it only cost around $25 what is my actual budget, don't laugh because I live in third world country and that's all I can afford. So will you guys please tell me will it run on my system which have only 305 watts power supply and what I determine from internet searching it require at least 420 watt psu, so will it work on my 305 watt psu also please can you tell me if this card have hardware t&l, because in it specs it didn't mention it, also can you please tell me what kind of games I can play after this upgrade. Looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance.

Solution
Something like a Radeon HD 5550 would fit your budget and power supply. It is not a great gaming card, but it is a large improvement over your current card, and it is compatible with DirectX 11 games. If you can wait just a couple of months or so, the newer 7000 series cards will be here which will drop the prices of the older cards even further.

One other thing I thought of was some of the web sites that offer free games and demos. One site I use is HTTP://www.steampowered.com. Another is HTTP://games.yahoo.com. Many of the games are silly games for little kids, but many are extremely fun and addicting. Ever played Peggle, Chuzzle, or Angry Birds? If not you should try them.

I have also seen numerous free racing games if that is...

Azeem1

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I sure can't expect to play gta iv with this system, by modern gaming I meant games up to 2007-2008, thanks for your reply, after more internet searching I found out that this card is better than my built in chipset so I bought it and now I know it support hardware t&l because I can play driver parallel lines with it which I couldn't play with intel chipset, it is certainly an improvement in my system, now can you guys suggest a good graphics card which I can buy for 50-60 $ and which will work with 305 watts power supply because I am planning on saving from my monthly budget to have a good card.

tlmck

Distinguished
Something like a Radeon HD 5550 would fit your budget and power supply. It is not a great gaming card, but it is a large improvement over your current card, and it is compatible with DirectX 11 games. If you can wait just a couple of months or so, the newer 7000 series cards will be here which will drop the prices of the older cards even further.

One other thing I thought of was some of the web sites that offer free games and demos. One site I use is HTTP://www.steampowered.com. Another is HTTP://games.yahoo.com. Many of the games are silly games for little kids, but many are extremely fun and addicting. Ever played Peggle, Chuzzle, or Angry Birds? If not you should try them.

I have also seen numerous free racing games if that is what you like.

Solution

tlmck

Distinguished

Yes. But I was referring to when all the other models begin to populate the channel. Historically, that's when they all the older cards start to drop in price.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
get a hd6670
you can get this in Rs3000-Rs4000 in india
and it require only 75w and thus will definately work in your system
to confirm this, check you psu rating at 12v, you need at least 15A rating at 12v (check sticker or manual of psu)

and you can run gta4 at medium settings at 1920x1200 resolution with around 40fps, and new games too like mw2,mw3,l4d,jc2 etc at medium settings or high settings

Status
Not open for further replies.