Closed

Challenge installing ASUS graphics card drivers

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2012 4:21:43 AM

I have a P8H61-MLE/usb3. The processor is I5-2320.
8Gb ddr3 Memory and windows 7 64 Bit so that the system will "see" the full 8 Gb.
My graphics card is an Nvidia EN8400GS.
Problem is that the system crashes after a few minutes of booting up when the Nvidia card is installed.
Seems to be quite stable when the video card is removed.
I have downloaded the new drivers for the Nvidia and tried to instal but the installation fails if I can get that far before the system crashes.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
asusontop

More about : challenge installing asus graphics card drivers

a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 4:41:21 AM

What kind of crash is it? BSoD? Just freeze? I know my friend's computer which runs on a 4890 primarily, but has a 7600GS running his third monitor currently, and the 7600 crashes from overheating. Just freezes up. If it's freezing, you should get a new GPU to replace it.
Score
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 8, 2012 4:41:38 AM

try the beta drivers.
Score
Related resources
January 8, 2012 5:22:03 AM

asusontop said:
I have a P8H61-MLE/usb3. The processor is I5-2320.
8Gb ddr3 Memory and windows 7 64 Bit so that the system will "see" the full 8 Gb.
My graphics card is an Nvidia EN8400GS.
Problem is that the system crashes after a few minutes of booting up when the Nvidia card is installed.
Seems to be quite stable when the video card is removed.
I have downloaded the new drivers for the Nvidia and tried to instal but the installation fails if I can get that far before the system crashes.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
asusontop

BSod??. It freezes. No mouse no keyboard, no download activity. No background activity.
The video card was working fine when I took it out of the old computer Windows 7 32 bit, Pentium 4, 2 gig ddr2 just yesterday. So I am inclined to think it is not a faulty GPU but a conflict somewhere.
Score

Best solution

January 8, 2012 5:36:34 AM

Try this. Boot into safe mode, then uninstall any of the old drivers that you had for any previous graphics card (or any drivers for any card at all, even the current one). Once that is done, restart and boot up normally. Then try to install the drivers. Make sure that you disable via the BIOS any integrated graphics as well. Report back here with the results.
January 8, 2012 5:43:30 AM

OK will try. May take a while so keep an eye out in say 24 hours if you will.
Cheers. Appreciate the help.
:sweat: 
Score
January 8, 2012 6:16:56 AM

Yup, not a problem. Just reply here, I get emails whenever there is a new reply. :) 
Score
January 9, 2012 11:10:10 PM

Hi. Back again. After a lot of testing by going to safe mode, safe mode with internet. Putting graphics card in taking graphics card out, putting d-link wireless card in, taking wireless card out etc. It seems that the problem lies in the D-link card.
The problem was masked because both cards were in.
System is running at the moment but without the D-Link AWA510EU Adapter.
(I am on my laptop to get into the Internet.
So now the problem has been isolated to the D-link.
Thanks for the help so far. Any ideas on the D-link. I have downloaded the drivers but that does not fix the problem.
Score
January 9, 2012 11:27:29 PM

No idea right now, but continue to push your system to see if the issue really was fixed.

In the meantime, I am trying to find some info on that particular adapter, but I'm not having any luck coming across that model number on google.
Score
January 10, 2012 10:22:03 PM

Hi Phyco126. I have found a different solution which confirms that the D-link is the problem. I found an old TP-Link usb internet adapter, downloaded some drivers and voila we have a stable system with internet.
While it does not resolve why the D-Link upsets the system it does provide an immediate solution for stability.
Many thanks for your help
Score
January 11, 2012 5:56:49 AM

Not a problem, glad you got it working!
Score
January 15, 2012 11:41:00 PM

I got in touch with D-link and they gave me the new drivers to download.

ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DWA-510/REV_A/Drivers...
These worked fine and I have no further instability problems.
The most current driver can also be downloaded from the D-Link support page.
I notice in the forums that there were others who had some similar problems.
I hope this helps them also.

So case closed. Again thanks.
Score
January 15, 2012 11:51:51 PM

Yup, and this has been a valuable experience in learning more things and new ways to troubleshoot. Thanks!
Score
January 21, 2012 12:00:22 AM

Best answer selected by asusontop.
Score
!