New Unbuilt PC - Driver Install Confusion

hellomaster

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
I will be building a new PC very soon. I am just waiting for the parts to arrive. I plan to use Windows 7 64-bit. My PC build will be:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Rev2
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
SSD: Patriot PPSE120GS25SSDR
Video Card: ASUS ENGTX560
...along with RAM, tower, etc.

My questions are:
1. The Gigabyte site has SATA/RAID drivers to download. I have no plans to use RAID. Do I need these drivers?
2. The Gigabyte site has the Intel VGA drivers for download. The Intel site has the same drivers, but a newer version. Is it safe to install the drivers from the Intel site, instead of the drivers from the Gigabyte site? I am guessing that Gigabyte did not have the newest drivers because they were not fully compatible with the motherboard??
3. Do I need the Intel VGA drivers at all if I have a dedicated video card? I will install the video card drivers of course, but I do not know if I need to install the Intel VGA drivers as well.
4. The Gigabyte site has the audio drivers to download. The NVIDIA video card drivers file has an "HDAUDIO" folder, which I assume are audio drivers. Which drivers do I install?
5. For the video card, is it recommended to do a manual driver install (through device manager and selecting the unknown device), or should I install the drivers straight from the install file?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

1.Yes. You'll need the SATA drivers.
2.Yes and maybe. If they really are the same only a newer version go with Intel. If the drivers are not really the same but something that Gigabyte designed specifically for that Mobo then stick with theirs. A Gigabyte forum search should give you the answer.
3.Yes. They work with the CPU.
4. See #2
5. Follow the card Mfg's recommendation.
Good luck with your new build. :)

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Yes. Patriot's drivers are for that specific SSD or SSD class. The Mfg's drivers are for how the MOBO uses the SSD.

hellomaster

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Great. Just one quick question.

When I install the Intel VGA drivers and the NVIDIA video card drivers, these two can co-exist and will not conflict with each other. Is this correct?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

They shouldn't no. As I stated Intel's drivers are designed for the CPU. NVidias' are designed for the GPU. Good luck with your build. :)

hellomaster

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Awesome. OK I got one more quick question.

Do I need to load any drivers before doing a fresh install of Windows? During Windows Setup, there is a "load driver" option.

I watched a NewEgg video on building your own PC's on youtube, and the guy completely skipped this option. He was installing Windows 7 on a SSD. He installed all the drivers after Windows was installed, such as the chipset drivers, etc.

TRENDING THREADS