Sign in with
Your question

System Instability - Advice needed

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 2:53:19 PM

Around a year ago I built my PC from scratch.
3 Months in my SSD started having problems (freezing on sleep mode etc.) and eventually the drive wasn't recognised. I RMA'd it and all was fine for a few months.
These past few months I've been having random crashes, not a blue screen just no display. After a few consecutive crashes the OS then ceases to load. I've been reinstalling the win7 whenever this happens up until now, and normally lasts a few days until its first crash.
More recently it crashes whenever I try to do anything demanding, even starting up a game.
I tried some new ram as I thought it might solve my stability issues (apparently the ram I was using is notoriously bad) but I got a "CMOS date/time not set error message", and now neither windows nor the bios will load, and the fans are going tits.
I unplugged my SSD and rebooted, the fans are no longer spinning out of control but theres still no display.

Would appreciate any advice

My Specs:
Crosshair IV formula mobo
Amd phenom II 1090t
evga 570gtx
ocz reaper/crucial tactical 1600mhz
ocz vertex 2 ssd

Might be worth mentioning ive only got the stock cpu fan, and psu is branded 680w but 4-5 years old
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 4:13:32 PM

Quote:
3 Months in my SSD started having problems (freezing on sleep mode etc.) and eventually the drive wasn't recognised. I RMA'd it and all was fine for a few months.
These past few months I've been having random crashes, not a blue screen just no display. After a few consecutive crashes the OS then ceases to load. I've been reinstalling the win7 whenever this happens up until now, and normally lasts a few days until its first crash.
More recently it crashes whenever I try to do anything demanding, even starting up a game.
I tried some new ram as I thought it might solve my stability issues (apparently the ram I was using is notoriously bad) but I got a "CMOS date/time not set error message", and now neither windows nor the bios will load, and the fans are going tits.
I unplugged my SSD and rebooted, the fans are no longer spinning out of control but theres still no display.

My Specs:
Amd phenom II 1090t
evga 570gtx
ocz vertex 2 ssd

Might be worth mentioning ive only got the stock cpu fan, and psu is branded 680w but 4-5 years old

Unfortunately your Mobo has not been the sharpest knife in Asus' drawer. Especially when coupled with your cpu it seems. What are your ram specs?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 4:45:32 PM

Chaz21 said:
Unfortunately your Mobo has not been the sharpest knife in Asus' drawer. Especially when coupled with your cpu it seems. What are your ram specs?

I believe it was the 2033mhz rated ocz reaper or something similar, 2x2gb, but i didn't touch the clocks so would have been running at 1600 or less.
The new ram i tried was 8gb o this stuff - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 5:36:10 PM

Quote:
I believe it was the 2033mhz rated ocz reaper or something similar, 2x2gb, but i didn't touch the clocks so would have been running at 1600 or less.
The new ram i tried was 8gb o this stuff - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

The ram you listed (the new one) isn't on your motherboards QVL list. Now I don't know how vital that is but I thought you should know. Here's a link to that page:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/Crosshair_IV_F...
The Mfg of your ram does have some ram listed in the QVL - just not yours. If Asus didn't put it on the QVL for this mobo it might be because it causes problems with it. I don't know. Someone here might though.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 10:11:14 PM

Chaz21 said:
The ram you listed (the new one) isn't on your motherboards QVL list. Now I don't know how vital that is but I thought you should know. Here's a link to that page:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/Crosshair_IV_F...
The Mfg of your ram does have some ram listed in the QVL - just not yours. If Asus didn't put it on the QVL for this mobo it might be because it causes problems with it. I don't know. Someone here might though.

Do you have any other suggestions?
I ran memtest on my old ram, and it passed multiple times, but from what i can gather memtest doesn't take into account intermittent issues.
I just dont know if its a wise idea to spend more money on more ram when that may not even be the problem :/ 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 10:36:12 PM

Quote:
Do you have any other suggestions?
I ran memtest on my old ram, and it passed multiple times, but from what i can gather memtest doesn't take into account intermittent issues.
I just dont know if its a wise idea to spend more money on more ram when that may not even be the problem :/ 

You're right about buying more ram at this time (but you may have to in the future). The next "usual" suspect would be the PSU. You should provide us with whatever info you have on that. In the mean time if you can borrow a PSU from someone or somewhere you could try that. It doesn't matter what the wattage is it only matters that its a working PSU at this point.
March 12, 2012 10:54:10 PM

Quote:

My Specs:
Amd phenom II 1090t
evga 570gtx
ocz vertex 2 ssd

RE: the CMOS error message, have you tried the CMOS/BIOS reset jumper? (assuming your MB has one as I can't find out for sure anywhere)?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 11:01:38 PM

Isaiah4110 said:
RE: the CMOS error message, have you tried the CMOS/BIOS reset jumper? (assuming your MB has one as I can't find out for sure anywhere)?

Worth a try. If you can't find the reset/jumper just pull the battery for a short time then replace it.
March 12, 2012 11:42:36 PM

Quote:

My Specs:
Amd phenom II 1090t
evga 570gtx
ocz vertex 2 ssd

Try using a different PSU.
!